The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently acquired an older flexicoil 5000, it is a 1997 45' unit. When I got it, the duals on the main toolbar on the rear right hand side were leaning both to one side a bit. Those tires were only worn on one side, so they had been like that for a while. I figured it was likely a bad bushing, but after taking if apart the bushing doesn't really seem that bad. The walking beam looks identical to a new one - the pipe where the stub axles slide in are on the exact same slight angle downward to the outside as a new walking beam. Everything on the machine appears square. I've re-packed the wheel bearings. I'm at a bit of a loss trying to figure out why the wheels aren't sitting straight. Anyone have any suggestions or a similar experience?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've got a 39 foot 5000 and my rear wheels don't sit level either and nothing looks bent. I think it must be a factory offset.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Older, '97 is new equipment for some of us!! My drill is similar with rear wheel assemblies

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haha now worries CRToney, it is one of my newer machines as well. Just a bit older compared to some peoples...

The stub axles are perfectly straight. We measured the angle on the rocking beam, and a brand new one is showing ~1/8" lower on the outer ends of the pipe where the stub slides into, when compared to where the pipe is welded onto the rest of the rocking beam. The old one on my unit has the exacts same angle to it. Im guessing that when the weight of the machine is applied to these wheels, the pipe will flex enough that the wheels should then be straight.

I swapped the bushing with one from another walking beam and still have the same problem. How precise fit is the bushing supposed to be? It is not a real tight fit, but definitly isn't what I would consider to be sloppy...

I've also been trying to get my hands on a manual for the toolbar itself, the dealer up here seems to be having difficulty acessing it haha. Sounds like George's in Penhold is a major dealer for them, might have to give them a call...

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Manuals, have to get them from CNH, and decent service manager would print it for you, **** 99 % don't know what a 5000 series is, gonna need your serial # Scott.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I just bought a flexicoil 5000 and the one tire on the transport was worn on the inside on the right side. I brought out a new tire and changed it and noticed that the walking beam has a bit of up and down play in it. How much play is too much play?

At the time I kind of brushed it off but as I went home I figured something might be out of whack there

I had a look in the manual when I got home and it claims that the bushing size is 1.75" I'd and the bolt that goes through the walking beam is 1" OD that tells me there must be quite an amount of play on purpose but not sure if I should be more concerned about it since it has to make it roughly 120km home.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Common. We got a NH drill. (Flexicoil pained blue) and the transport tires run at an angle. Even replaced the frame part that holds the tires. Figured it was bent. Installed new one no diff. /shrug

·
Registered
182 Posts
Do you have a bit of up and down slop/ play in your walking beam? I'm just concerned pulling it down the road that that bolt will snap and I'll lose the rear castors lol

·
Registered
430 Posts
They all seem to lean like that. They really seem to lean when turning. Have looked it over many times and we continue to use it as is. we have a couple of them. Great seeding tool though!

·
Premium Member
2,014 Posts
Mine does fairly bad. The whole assembly on mine has a bit of a twist to it on the rear wheels. It had larger airplane tires on it when I bought it. Must have been to raise higher during transport??? I think they would lift it all the way out on head lands and drag those large tires around corners. Complete guess. Wished I would have noticed it when I bought it. It now binds up a bit when lifting up and down. Messes with depth. I have to go really slow up and and down. Anyone have a 5000 57 foot with 9 inch spacing in good condition they thinking of selling? I wouldn't mind replacing mine. It getting worn out for the acres I seed each year. If only I made enough money for a new one.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I wouldn't be too concerned Dwf. I pulled one from central Saskatchewan to ne BC, had no issues with the walking beams or transport tires. You should be fine.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Mine does fairly bad. The whole assembly on mine has a bit of a twist to it on the rear wheels. It had larger airplane tires on it when I bought it. Must have been to raise higher during transport??? I think they would lift it all the way out on head lands and drag those large tires around corners. Complete guess. Wished I would have noticed it when I bought it. It now binds up a bit when lifting up and down. Messes with depth. I have to go really slow up and and down. Anyone have a 5000 57 foot with 9 inch spacing in good condition they thinking of selling? I wouldn't mind replacing mine. It getting worn out for the acres I seed each year. If only I made enough money for a new one.

Watch the Lethbridge RB auctions. With your dollar your getting a 25% discount

·
Premium Member
5,265 Posts
The bolt does not wear at all. It is the solid steel bushing on the ends and the wear collars on each end. I just replace 4 on the front of my drill and there was zero wear on any bolt. This pivot snould be greased each day when seeding because it is a wear item. The wear collars are a 6366 part number and $23-25 a piece. The solid steel bushing or what they call a carrier is 87420398 and approximatley $57-60. The complete rebuild kit is DR-871K and is about $158-166. A lot of the wear may be due to the crown in the road. You can reverse the tire on the rim if it is getting bad.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I just put a new tire on that's no big deal to me and the wear is opposite of what I would expect of road crown wear as it's on the inside of the castor. Thanks for those part numbers it actually looked like a new bolt going through but likely they just didn't change the bushings. As long as it should be safe to make it home that would be nice I don't want to make Too many 2 hr round trips to make sure this thing is roadworthy it's a bit of a pain

1 - 20 of 22 Posts