The Combine Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What roller are you using to seed soybeans in a flexicoil cart? The book says to use course one but i think the fine should do.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Soybeans are as fragile or more so than peas. I use extra course for peas. I cant imagine the seed splits with course, much less the fine rolls. Course would be minimum for my usage. My soybeans are usually over 3,000 seeds per pound. Less than that, and the seed would be so big you would have soy flower.

IMO. Heavy on the O.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Coarse roller,been using that for years.At the price of seed why would you want to put split and cracked beans in the ground?

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
The book doesnt recommend extra course. they say coarse or fine
I think course and fine are all the book mentions for anything is'nt it? I dont know how old your machine its, but course and fine may have been the only 2 choices at that time. Now we have extra fine oversize and extra course.

Fine rolls would grind way too many beans IMO. If you look at the extra course, you can see how the paddles have a sharper endge to easier separate the beans and the paddles are more flexible to a small extent.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think course and fine are all the book mentions for anything is'nt it? I dont know how old your machine its, but course and fine may have been the only 2 choices at that time. Now we have extra fine oversize and extra course.

Fine rolls would grind way too many beans IMO. If you look at the extra course, you can see how the paddles have a sharper endge to easier separate the beans and the paddles are more flexible to a small extent.
I have extra course,course,fine and extra fine. Thanks for explaining why you would use the extra course. I guess I was just thinking for the amount of seed fine would handle it with no trouble. So with extra course your roller won't be going very fast. Approximately what would your setting be?

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Keeping in mind I am running a mechanical 2320, 3 runs on only a 15' drill that is on 15" spacing. So I only have 12 openers per'se.

So my drive ratio I derived from the book as width divided by run count times 10. That gives me a 50% drive ratio needed.

I'll have to go look in my notes at the shop for the "gate" setting I used. I call the slide scale the gate for whatever reason. I guess I just got used to it from the box drill years.

But yes, I like to divide peas and beans as few times as I can and try to give as much cushion as possible to the fragile seed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts