The Combine Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have a flexicoil 2320 and when I have the extra fine roller in it and the fan on, but the clutch not engaged (roller isn't turning), I'm getting still getting seed out the boots.
Anyone know what part I need to replace or what adjustment I need to make?

Thanks!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I bought an extra fine low clearance to use this spring. It didn't leak by, but it was so tight it would overheat the drive motor and fault out. Is it normal to be that tight?

·
Registered
357 Posts
You have to turn your fan speed down. We forgot to do that once and sucked out 80 acres worth of seed in 20! Hard lesson to learn

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
I am guessing from how you describe the roller, as in 1 roller that you don't have the small third compartment and are running your canola out of one of the main two tanks. Is it a tow between or tow behind tank and which compartment are you using for canola ?. Until this year we were using a tow between 2320 with that third tank and the outlet hoses from the metering rolls ( yes two mini rolls in that tank ) ran all the way to the back of the cart and tied in with Y fittings to a single shoot drill and we never had a problem with canola sucking with that setup although just pointing that out since its probably not your setup.

Now we are running a Case IH 3430 tow behind tank ( its really the 430 bu flexicoil so as not to confuse ) so its the first time we ran an extra fine low clearance roller. It actually worked very well to put through what we calibrated for but we did notice that one variety of canola was sucking through while standing there with the fan on but the other variety had larger seeds and was not a problem. We were single shooting and had the air damper almost closed for that middle tank but the air flowing through the tubes from the first tank to receive air ( which is the rear tank or as they call it tank 3 ) it had enough velocity to cause an issue there but it never threw off the actual rate in our case while seeding.

Cory, as our 3430 tank was used and the original owner stated that he used the center tank and yet was double shooting which should have meant he use the tank closest to the seeding tool by Flexicoils recommendation to avoid the sucking of small seeds by because of high velocity. So we were planning on going to the front tank and using the rear two tanks for a fert blend and calibrating those tanks to run down at the same time. Ok so I install that extra fine low clearance roller into the front tank and then discovered it turned horribly tight with plyers on the end of the roller by the drive roll pin and impossible to turn it by hand in pushing on the roller flutes to roll it over. I then tried that same roller in the center tank and it was turning fine but could tell its very very close and could sense it slightly touching the wear strip I believe. I thought what the heck is going on, what is wrong at tank 1 that its hanging up so I took what I call a tire grease pencil that tire shops use and marked the wear strip and the roof of the drive box housing in various spots all along it to see where it would rub onto the roller after I installed the roller and turned it over with the plyers. Well wouldn't you know it, ether a mis manufactured assembly or put together incorrectly at the factory as what I call the roof area where the roller runs very close to, it was down too far and not aligned properly with the holes for the end of the metering box. So I would suggest you do that test and see exactly where the roller segments are rubbing as it sounds to me you might have the same goof up happening to yours as I found out ours is set up as.

As dfarms11 mentioned, too much air with a high fan speed will cause major problems but in our case I went through the testing with the hose method to lower the fan speed to what just shot fert and seed out to around 14 inches and happened to be 2900 RPM in this case. Had we been able to use tank 1 if it hadn't been for the tight roller issue, perhaps it would have helped in not sucking canola out while standing still.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Not sure if the 2320 tank has the air dampers on each tank. On our 3450 we had the same issue with blow by at the roller. We solved it by adjusting the air damper for the canola tank down to the point it's almost closed so then the canola basically just falls into the air stream from the next tank. What is your fan speed currently and how many lbs of product are you pushing?

·
Registered
122 Posts
We had the same problem this year as we went back to a single shoot set up,couldnt shut the air down to front tank,probably had the fan a bit quick as it turns out,wasn't aware of any other solutions,the cart came with oversize fine rollers bit didn't use them cause it was that tight to turn I reckon it would have destroyed the meter box in a few days.
Good thing I had plenty of seed...

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Originally they came out with smaller diameter extra fine rollers, check the diameter against new ones to make sure you have the large ones. Also there is a plastic strip riveted on on a plate below your metering roller. Take this out and replace it with a slightly thicker chopping block type plastic strip. You will need to drill and countersink the rivet holes but it will be worthwhile .

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
You have a leak on the bottom end, wear strip is worn out, blanks missing in manifold, meter installed correctly, air deflector installed, Scott.

·
Registered
44 Posts
used to happen on our old 2320 tank, solved the problem like guys said by turning air down and damper closed. fan rpm at 3600 rpm. Also have have great luck using the segmented roller for canola. don't know about extra fine low clearance?

·
Registered
225 Posts
We were getting blow by on wheat and it was cause by the divider plate had popped out it just snaps in 3 small rubber grommet things.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the replies!

I was running my fan at 4500 rpm because I was having plugging issues with the fert in the back tank (this is a tow behind). I did adjust it so that 3/4's of the air was going to the back tank. Still too much? Putting down 300lbs of fert.

I know what you mean about that little wear strip on the bottom of the meter door...I may get a new one and install it. I noticed some canola was sneaking by when I removed the roller.

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
A Flexicoil clinic I was at this spring and imagine a few of you have been to them in the past, the topic of the extra fine low clearance roller vs the segmented roller came up for seeding canola. What was said is that the segmented roller came out as a "fix" and was intended for the older carts to increase the roller speed for the amount of product it would pass through BUT it came with some drawbacks. One was blow by if there was too much air being needed to move the product as the draw or air velocity could suck canola past easier then what the newer style low clearance roller is able to hold back or so it was said. Basically the instructor nixed the idea of using a segmented roller in favor of the low clearance unit. Yet on a dealer level they were selling the segmented roller to some and ... some were happy with them and some were not. I haven't tried the segmented roller ourselves and with how well the low clearance roller worked ( in the tank that the metering box would fit it properly ! ) even though we had a little blow by with the one type of canola while not seeding, I'd suggest first trying the low clearance roller BUT be darned sure it rotates freely with little or no touching of its surroundings by hand before the drive is connected and any seed dumped in. Then calibrate, then put in a known quantity of seed ( say three bags ) and seed it right down and dump the remainder and weigh it to know what was put on per acre. That seems to be the only way to avoid a disaster by assuming the darned thing works the same in calibrating vs in field operation.

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Stoney Hill, I can't guarantee this idea will help but typically the rear tank of a tow behind should have the dampener open all the way according to Flexicoil and make sure the linkages etc are working and that the flaps inside are actually opening all the way. Then because of your canola being sucked through, I'd say close off that air dampener completely on the forward tank and see if that helps some and monitor your canola usage and so on.

Go down to your openers as the fan is going and feel for not only air but the volume of air that is coming out across the tool just to be sure there isn't something going on where you are not getting the air flow even across the unit. If all is well there, you may have to slow your ground speed down some to reduce the volume shoved through the unit that the air can't cope with. To me 4500 RPM is high but then again I don't have a clue how wide your unit is ether.

Do you have velocity meters on your manifold for each tank and what were they reading when you were having the problems ?

·
Registered
357 Posts
That's the other thing. You can't go by fan rpm. You must go by the proper air velocity for the weight of product flowing through each tank

1 - 15 of 15 Posts