The Combine Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 2007 100' s68xl suspended boom sprayer. Does anyone have any experience with the 655 monitor? Coming from an old Bourgault and I'm not
Sure what I have to do to set up autorate? I have the speed sensor dialed in but when I try autorate there is no fluctuation of oressure with speed. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,026 Posts
It may be your paddle flow control sensor in the back of the sprayer where the flow control T is. They usually only last 1-2 years. I also had to replace the flow control ball valve that regulates the flow once in 10 years. I would buy a paddle flow sensor and throw it in. If it does not correct the problem then keep it as a spare because you will need it. They do not give you any warning when they go bad. As far as the monitor it has been to many years since I used the 655 to remember what to do.

·
Registered
653 Posts
When You are spraying does your monitor show the rate, and does it change with speed, if it does, it is you flow control valve not the flow sensor, i had to change mine last year! I think around $500 !:eek:;)

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
With your monitor in manual you should be able to cycle the flow control valve in about 6 seconds you should here it double beep. There is usually a diode in them that goes but they can be fixed if you know an electronic repairman. If your not getting a gallons/acre reading it should be your flowmeter, as mentioned it's like a 1/2 inch tea with a pin you can remove and pull the sensor out. Is it registering your speed correctly?

·
Registered
580 Posts
If it is the flow control that isn’t working, the pressure will be very erratic. If you put the monitor in manual mode, and push up arrow until ball valve is wide open, it will double beep to let you know, your pressure should be around 70-80 psi, if not, then adjust your hyd flow, set your rate and speed to where it needs to be, put into auto mode and go spraying. The pressure will fall to where it needs to be for the rate you are spraying. Test with just water first:). Usually you just need to change the paddle wheel and ceramic shaft for $95 instead of $400 for the whole flow control. Good luck.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I am guessing your monitor is missing the little quick reference pamphlet that slips into the back of the monitor. Maybe call your local dealer and see if you can get one.
All the advice above is good advice. I tend to agree if it's registering gpa the flow meter must be working. Also if it's giving you a few long beeps every few seconds maybe you need more hydraulic flow or something. With our old tractor and 10gal nozzles it maxed out at about 45lbs with the agitation turned on.
It will give a couple quick beeps when it finds the right rate when the auto is turned on if it's working.

Greg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry for the late reply. It was the flow sensor that was the issue. Ps that's a quick way to check by plugging it into speed sensor, thanks. Now like I said I'm still new to this sprayer and sprayed all in crop with manual mode so still unsure of auto mode but sounds like if I calibrate the tips and just simply switch over to auto it will be as accurate as possibly? I
Already have psi set to 40 and have adjustment each way for speed variances just not sure if I'm missing anything else thanks!

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Calibrating tips is nice but not necessary. Just make sure the tips all have a good pattern. Remember that your rate controller in auto mode is going to put out X GPA no matter what and it will try to maintain that. Sometimes if your filtering becomes plugged, you will see this as an increased pressure on your gauge but the system will still try and maintain the correct GPA that you have it set for. If you tried to adjust your pressure down manually in this case, you will not be applying enough product at the nozzle tip and you may even lose your pattern!

That is the beauty of the auto rate controller! Let it work for you. Generally I only go into manual mode when I want to spray a heavier rate. Example a patch of weeds or a corner of the field. You can increase the amount of product going out, simply by switching to manual mode and driving slower. There are other methods as well by changing the actual rate but I find that it is very beneficial when cornering your first round on a field to slow down so that you get more chemical at the outside end of your boom tip since it is traveling way faster than the opposite end. You also have more control so you don't run your boom into a fence!

About the accuracy - it isn't great with a paddle and ceramic shaft but it should give you 5% or less application error. I was never impressed. I always monitor every tank I fill that goes out to see if I get the right amount of gallons out of it. It varies greatly. I used to have a Teejet 844 rate controller which had an Italian turbine type flowmeter mounted on stainless steel bearings. On a 1600 gallon tank, it was generally within 4 or 5 gallons of the load! Flexicoil on the other hand is generally within 50 gallons or less on a 1600 gallon tank. (To me monitoring the total tank is critical because the flowmeter should be able to count your total gallons very accurately if it is calibrated correctly. If you have to be mindful of how much is left in the tank which sometimes when you check, you need to turn off agitation etc. in order to prevent frothy glyphos mixes etc. I always evaluate what I think I have left in the tank!)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.