The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if losses would be lower spreading or floating fert when there is snow on the ground? To me it’s an ideal time to do it ... want to get others thoughts who do this.
Thx for any thoughts!

·
Registered
711 Posts
have to work it in, we once floated N on corn ground and we disced it in, it started to snow that night and we quit discing as it would start to plug it froze -16 that night and we never got to finish it, field was worked before we send the floater in.Next year we noticed a yield drag in the canola from where we didn't work in the fertilizer.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It won’t dissolve and run off during spring thaw?
Our ground isn’t froze, and won’t freeze due to being very dry. My thinking is the snow will melt and soak the N in the ground. Maybe my thinking is wrong.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Could it freeze later? At the early start of thawing or thaw/RE freeze?

As you can likely guess from my location I have 0 experience w frozen ground... so only thinking through from 1st principles/my understanding of what happens in Canada/US

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don’t think it will freeze with snow cover. I actually hope it doesn’t freeze that way the moisture from the snow will soak in not run off.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I believe those trials are done on some decent clay loam right south of Yorkton.
Probably the highest assessed land in this RM or very close to it.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wondering if there was any N added at seeding time to the N applied on the snow?

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
Anyone know if losses would be lower spreading or floating fert when there is snow on the ground? To me it’s an ideal time to do it ... want to get others thoughts who do this.
Thx for any thoughts!
According to the Experts “Urea on Snow, Just Say NO”
Look at info from Montana State University on Fertilizer applied on snow and Losses are 20% or Higher. There is So much info on how Bad broadcasting Fertilizer is from Excessive nitrogen loss to Nitrous oxide released into the atmosphere .
Nitrous Oxide is 300 Times WORSE than CO2 as a Greenhouse Gas

·
Registered
407 Posts
I spread some east of our yard this spring on 100 acres ( the last load didn’t all fit in the bin) and the results were very underwhelming. It was pulse stubble seeded after to durum. Did a few trial passes and none showed anything better then the check. Rained a few days after spreading and we had enough in season moisture to use the extra.

·
Premium Member
4,091 Posts
When I bought my spreader I spread agrotain coated urea every month from November to April. The next few years I spread in November December urea some coated some bare. Then have since gone 100% bare urea some fall some spring. The only difference I ever noticed is where I quit in the fall and resumed spreading in the spring. There was a noticeable difference in the stand and yield for the spring application. The only drawback that I see to spring floating is compaction. The only nitrogen loss that I ever had was fall banding one year I lost every pound of it good thing I only did 320 acres.

·
Registered
998 Posts
When I bought my spreader I spread agrotain coated urea every month from November to April. The next few years I spread in November December urea some coated some bare. Then have since gone 100% bare urea some fall some spring. The only difference I ever noticed is where I quit in the fall and resumed spreading in the spring. There was a noticeable difference in the stand and yield for the spring application. The only drawback that I see to spring floating is compaction. The only nitrogen loss that I ever had was fall banding one year I lost every pound of it good thing I only did 320 acres.
What conditions led to banded N being 100% lost vs floated on the surface?
I'd interested in hearing about those conditions as well. We have spread and worked in Urea in the fall and have always had worse crops compared to when we band in the fall.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts