The Combine Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Spreading urea in the fall seems like a bit of of a crap shoot and could be a expensive source of N and goes against everything I’ve learned in the past 40 years of farming.

·
Premium Member
4,091 Posts
Just before the Halloween snow storm good moisture and winter set in on Halloween. Hutterites did their whole farm with liquid N at the same time and the only dark green in the following crop is were a deer took a ****. I remember going over every other pass again to empty the tank thinking I should see that from 10 miles away but lost it all. This is the way it was done here for many years and it always worked well. Why? No one had a answer.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Funny as had same thing happen(Halloween as well) 3 yrs ago. Had N/K dry blend floated on and was incorporating with Protill. It rained while incorporating, than snowed, than froze up in a hurry. It actually did warm up/unthaw about 2 wks later. That episode made me rethink Fall Fertilizer.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I put NH3 down this fall for the first time in many yrs on my canola ground for 2021. I wonder how Anhydrous compares with urea deep banded. I like my one pass system but supply of NH3 some yrs gets strained in the spring and prices sometimes are better in fall. Yield differences are huge in the video and one pass in spring looks like the way to go.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I spread bare Urea last fall, late November with no snow and dry conditions. My crop was good N losses were minimal. This fall I finished spreading before our big dump of snow with Northern Nutrients Triple Kick treated Urea. Others were spreading with Contain or Agrotain. I'll see how it fairs next to others who spread bare Urea.

·
Registered
760 Posts
How are you testing to know what sort of loss there may be - IE different rates with coated product, Spring soil tests prior to planting, yield the next year, etc?

·
Registered
541 Posts
This fall on my corn ground I put 50% urea and 50% ESN. And all my phos and sulphur. We will see next summer. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
11 Posts
Please do not broadcast ESN - it is not designed for that practice and losses will be extreme. Unlike an untreated urea, very little N will wash into the soil profile during a rain event if polymer coated (ESN), and instead will just be left vulnerable to losses after said rain event and subsequent weakening of the polymer coating.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts