The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,507 Posts
Are you thinking combine?
Make sure they will fit first.
If you can estimate axle weighs and study cyclical loading charts and operate at the bottom pressures of those floatation will be as good as you can make it.
https://www.titan-intl.com/-/media/Files/Load_inflation_tables.ashx
This comes up as page 3 panel but page 22 bottom left corner of actual publication.
Looks like the size you picked is the highest flotation tire they build.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, combine tires.....we're approaching winter wheat harvest and the ground water table is super high with the Mississippi River above flood stage for months now and rains every 4th day....ditches are full and overflowing with the floodgates closed......rutting up the wheatfields during harvest is a major concern with trying to replant to soybeans...

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
I can say they are expensive to get 1250mm wide tire under a machine. A 30.5/32 with 18.4/38 dual added to it gives you 1380mm of tire spaced over a wider area and is a whole heck of a lot cheaper if you have 32's already. So that is what we ran so have no comparison to a 1250. My guess is more rubber for less money will likely win.

·
Super Moderator
2,507 Posts
anyone have experience with LSW1250/45R46 tires in soft conditions ?
Just noticed from that chart, 1250 is actually a 40R, not 45R.
I suspect the 1100 45R46 1250 40R46 and 1400 30R46 are all the same overall diameter.
Why they build a 1250 35R and 40R is a mystery to me.

·
Premium Member
5,178 Posts
The more rubber you get under your combine the better. I would much sooner dual up what you have. If possible it is better to have the outside tire a little smaller or less air to decrease the strain on the axle. Some of these metal working shops will fabricate axle tubes quite cheap if they are looking of work.

·
Super Moderator
2,507 Posts
By pure coincidence this just showed up

Not the system but the graphics/demo showing proper inflation advantages.

Still not good enough to maximize central tire inflation advantages, that will NOT happen until automatic rolling radius detection and compensation systems appear.
When that happens tires will put a run on tracks again.
Don’t you just love cyclical technology development?!

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
For the same flat plate a big ass single probably holds up better than duals in the really soft saturated stuff.

And there’s nothing worse than duals that are not spaced wide enough apart and fill up with mud. Then you have a nice mud bearing your riding on and pretty much useless.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I know you don’t want to here this but. Big rice tyres will paddle Through real good if you have a bottom. And if it’s that wet you will have to till the field after anyways

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
And don't forget the option of adding four wheel drive if its not equipped with it as rear tires that sink and hold back the fronts cause the front tires to spin and down they go.

·
Premium Member
7,948 Posts
Tracks are THE answer for wet fields. Few years back after 45" of rain I traded for tracks because I knew I had a problem coming. Doesn't matter how much tires were on local machines everything was getting stuck, I was driving around with a 40' head and full hopper. Ruts were "less bad" too. Never regretted that decision and every combine from now on will have tracks.

·
Premium Member
5,178 Posts
I totally agree Swman. We were in a mess of mud in the fall of 2016 and I ended up buying a used Lexion with tracks. The tracks with 4wd would go through anything and would not make too big of a mess of the ground.

·
Super Moderator
2,507 Posts
Tracks are THE answer for wet fields.
Never regretted that decision and every combine from now on will have tracks.
Just as important Claas tracks are better all the time for an assortment of reasons (and those reasons are about to become even more so) other manufacturers are just patch work add ons, not fully integrated nor dedicated.
And far more expensive for a worse setup. Fact.

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,662 Posts
What ever you end up doing with the front I would definitely find a budget for some 28Lx26’s for the back. Or even wider. CIH have a wider rear now for rice machines.

As said earlier once the grain tank fills the little rears will probably dig in and drag the rest of the machine down or to a standstill.

Your obviously looking to just stay on top of spongey ground but what happens once you sink? Is it bottomless? Hit s bottom and power thru? Is it the type of soil that will clean off a flat shallow treaded tyre?

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
anyone have experience with LSW1250/45R46 tires in soft conditions ?
A friend of mine has a Lexion 580R and farms in some hilly land with deep black, high organic soil. It is often too wet in the low areas but if you can stay on top of the stubble and root layer you can usually keep going. A few years ago he added the powered rear axle with 750 x 26 Michelins. A good improvement over dragging the rear tires. A couple years ago when faced with extreme wet harvest conditions he upgraded the drivers to 1250 x 46 on a new set of rims that balance the offset as good as you can. They are amazing in soft ground. The rear tires will now make tracks well before the drivers. I have a picture of that showing driving in an inch or two of water and only leaving lug marks in the stubble. I think the 1250s were around $15,000 with rims and it all fits and works very well. Worth the money. Less than an inch of clearance between the top of the tire and the side panel but no problems. The 900 takeoffs make great tires for the NH3 cart too! And you always have a set of spares.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Is this a similar system that you had on your Deere four wheel drive?

By pure coincidence this just showed up

https://youtu.be/zxQ5fcfRCXA

Not the system but the graphics/demo showing proper inflation advantages.

Still not good enough to maximize central tire inflation advantages, that will NOT happen until automatic rolling radius detection and compensation systems appear.
When that happens tires will put a run on tracks again.
Don’t you just love cyclical technology development?!

·
Registered
338 Posts
In 2016 some neighbors went with those really wide LSW tires and they still got stuck all the time.

We went with Soucy tracks. We never got stuck anywhere but it was close at times.

If I was in your situation I'd find some tracks. The Soucy ones worked well but were super high maintenance. If I had to do it over I think I'd buy the Camso ones.

I haven't read through this thread yet either but I'm sure Claas guys are probably here going on about how their tracks are the bestestestestest and you should trade your entire combine for one of theirs because their tracks are designed for the machine and they are the awesomest and they are basically the Jesus of combines/track systems, back in the mud bog of 16 we had here only one combine on tracks that I know of got stuck and it was a Lexion… Just sayin.

Big duals don't stand a chance. That 9120 Case in the picture below got a set of Soucy tracks after the attempt made where that stuck happened.

Best of luck, I don't envy the situation you're in, we were just there and '16 still feels like just yesterday. Even with how dry it is here I still can't sleep when I hear it raining. Gives me wicked anxiety.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,507 Posts
I haven't read through this thread yet either but I'm sure Claas guys are probably here going on about how their tracks are the bestestestestest and you should trade your entire combine for one of theirs because their tracks are designed for the machine and they are the awesomest and they are basically the Jesus of combines/track systems
All correct.
And in three months there be two more reasons.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
You can't compare factory duals to tracks. Here that Case would have had triples on it. There was no large machine in our area only running factory duals. Had a picture of a neighbour running quads. No, not the best way to go but if you are going to run something one or two years you have some decisions on how big your bank account is. I can appreciate what one 1250 tire can do vs dual 650s but that also depends on what conditions you are dealing with too. Dual 650s spread the weight over a larger area and when driving on a thin layer of top soil that covers pudding below it, it was important to disperse the weight. No doubt tracks are good, but if you actually have to factor in cost and it is a one time thing then straddle duals or triples are an option. And yes, bigger rear tires. We ran 540-26s with the 30.5 + 18. 4 duals, otherwise the back end became the problem area. And no, I don't recall any combines running triples sitting with tore up drives. Ours is still running fine too.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts