The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found a flow meter for metering chem from a tote that is actually accurate?. If so, what is it?. I've only tried two different ones and the only difference is that one is a cheap POS (Sotera) and the other an expensive POS (Raven 221). Neither are accurate or repeatable. I'm not concerned about price (within reason) I just need accuracy.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I installed a Durameter and after I calibrated it seems pretty close. Just using it for glyphosate right now and only emptied a few barrels and a shuttle so don't know exactly how accurate it is yet. I don't like that it seems to meter air so you kinda have to pay attention to the number when your barrel goes empty

·
Registered
833 Posts
I tried various meters and went away from them.
Different chemicals with different viscosities made them unreliable.
Glyphosate in the summer versus glyphosate in the spring when its colder would need a different cal factor as well.

Been using the measurements on a chem handler and its pretty close for me that way.

·
Premium Member
1,983 Posts
I have a mixing cone that works the same every time. I have used a few meter while metering into a cone. I have not tried another in a few years now. My 2" Banjo meter that meters everything I pump onto my sprayer has surprised me. Often with in 1% of what the meter out says I sprayed. Then today it was almost 50 gallon short on a 1250 gal load. Or was my rate meter off metering the spray out???

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I put my tote on a 5,000# scale. Accurate to 1#, or about 1/10 gallon. If you get a 10,000# scale, resolution may be 2# but you can stack two full totes. The cam-lock is hooked into my 3" pump with a check valve so if I leave a valve open it won't feed into the water tank. When loading a product at 2 1/2qt/acre, that 3" pump saves a lot of time.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Would be nice if they would just put more markings on the containers in smaller increments. Having a meter is just one more thing to flush out.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I put my tote on a 5,000# scale. Accurate to 1#, or about 1/10 gallon. If you get a 10,000# scale, resolution may be 2# but you can stack two full totes. The cam-lock is hooked into my 3" pump with a check valve so if I leave a valve open it won't feed into the water tank. When loading a product at 2 1/2qt/acre, that 3" pump saves a lot of time.
Where did you get the scale

·
Registered
67 Posts
Chemical shuttles I've used the past 2 years:

Gly Star Plus
Border Xtra 8L
Satellite Hydrocap
Boundary 6.5 EC
Dual Magnum II

I've been coming out very accurately.

Banjo 2" Flowmeter.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Go ogle pallet scale or floor scale. Shipping is a big cost, so your location matters. Get one with a weatherproof display.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Great idea. I see numerous pallet scales online for around $500 USD. Constantly drives me nuts that all the Canadian sites are about double that, even if you consider the horrendous exchange rate right now.

·
Registered
601 Posts
i use a scale as well. they often sell new at auction for 500 or less and have had mine going on two years and no problem.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I agree with puddles, Richie Bros has them come through all the time. If you can grab one when they have a smaller sale they go for 5-800 with a wireless display.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Scales wont work for me but I have been experimenting with an accu-volume sensor. It's a little more sensitive than I would like for this and you have to be able to pull from the top and many totes are not designed to pull from the top

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Just a hair brained idea, but what about a temperature compensated flow meter? A hall effect flow meter, ds1820 temp sensor and a arduino. The arduino could compensate the flow meter readings based on liquid temp. It would take some calibrating, but could be done. As far as I know there is no really accurate flow meter on the market. I will say the banjo so far is the 'best' I have used too.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Scales wont work for me but I have been experimenting with an accu-volume sensor. It's a little more sensitive than I would like for this and you have to be able to pull from the top and many totes are not designed to pull from the top
The flow meters have my dad so pissed that he wanted to go back to smashing jugs, we usually load a barrel to a tank but for the big totes were stuck using the meter, it sucks but ya we bought the banjo its better still gotta watch with air, with a scale how do you know empty wait of the container

·
Registered
282 Posts
Does the banjo flow meter have a check valve like the sotera so liquid does not flow back in case one forgets to close shutoff valve,and does it have a different cal number for different chemical thicknesses? We have to get something else than the sottera cause they just quit working, and batteries aren't dead

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
The flow meters have my dad so pissed that he wanted to go back to smashing jugs, we usually load a barrel to a tank but for the big totes were stuck using the meter, it sucks but ya we bought the banjo its better still gotta watch with air, with a scale how do you know empty wait of the container
All you have to know is how much one gallon or litre weighs. So you could weigh the tote, fill up a 4 litre pitcher, then see what the difference in weight is. Then you can calculate how many kg per litre or gallon or whatever. After you know that you can measure just by weighing how much less the tote weighs. The empty tote weight does not matter.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Even better, you can accurately measure the last little bit of product you can't get with a flow meter. For example, if the near empty tote weighs 365# on the scale and you suck it dry and it weighs 335#. You can rinse the tote right there on the scale, adding as much water as necessary, as many times as necessary. Now suck all the rinse water out into your sprayer and the tote now weighs 322#. You have accurately measured the last little bit of chemical, and you have a clean tote. Try that with a flow meter!

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
Only problem is how do you get your shuttle on the scale out in the field. We usually carry 4-6 shuttles of round up on our trailer at a time.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts