The Combine Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Only problem is how do you get your shuttle on the scale out in the field. We usually carry 4-6 shuttles of round up on our trailer at a time.
Must haul a lot of water or, dont spray a lot of it, still valid point there, but im actually thinkig about the scale option, dad is already strolling on kijiji as i write this.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
After reading this thread, I'm convinced that buying a flow meter is a waste of money, better off buying a scale which would be more useful for other applications as well. As far as starting a new tote while in the field you could either double stack your totes on the scale or use a marker and a tape measure when these situations arise.

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
How does the scale handle having a load on it while your water trailer is bouncing around on a gravel road full of washboard?

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
How does the scale handle having a load on it while your water trailer is bouncing around on a gravel road full of washboard?
Not very well!

The NH3 nurse trucks have a scale built in to the frame which is locked for transport, and unlocked to load the tanks in the field. The locking mechanism takes the weight of the frame and secures it so even in a roll over, the load cells are isolated and undamaged. On a smaller scale it would work.

·
Registered
9,742 Posts
If I have to pull out of a tote it is usually Gly so I meter that out of the sprayer with a side kick, the other thing I use in totes is warrent so I just use a tape measure, at 3 pints an acre in a 1600 gal tank there is a little room for error.

I guess I have never got that worked up about it that I needed a flow meter but things like barrels I use a batch boy if it's not an even barrel per batch. It's hard to beat a batch boy for accuracy but it could be a bit faster, I hear great things about the new ones but sticker shock has kept me from making that purchase

·
Registered
632 Posts
I cart 2 shuttles on the a frame on a semi trailer mounted up high. It's just sucked into the water as the sprayer is loading and just use the marks on the shuttle. Roundup is 3.35 Aus a litre so it's cheap and 2- 2.5 litres/ha is the standard rate. Something like Sakura is different story I use kitchen scales as a 5kg container something like $1800 and you have over $4000 dollars of chemical in one tank load.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Anything new and improved for flow meters this year. Wanted to go the scale route but driving around afraid very hard on the load cells. Best way would be a hanging scale but you would need a crane on the spray trailer to either lift the totes or barrels.

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
If I have to pull out of a tote it is usually Gly so I meter that out of the sprayer with a side kick, the other thing I use in totes is warrent so I just use a tape measure, at 3 pints an acre in a 1600 gal tank there is a little room for error.

I guess I have never got that worked up about it that I needed a flow meter but things like barrels I use a batch boy if it's not an even barrel per batch. It's hard to beat a batch boy for accuracy but it could be a bit faster, I hear great things about the new ones but sticker shock has kept me from making that purchase
Could you explain to me how the batch boy works pls ?

They actually explain it quit well on their website. Like the idea, but chemical must go through Venturi twice and it doesn’t hold much. Having to fill it a few times for a large batch of glyphosate increases chance of operator error.

I don’t mind the idea of a scale on a handler to weigh chemical instead of under a tote. But if there was a good meter out there that would be the most simple. Just suck it through Venturi and straight to sprayer.

·
Registered
9,742 Posts
Well there is two models, a 12 gal and a 28, unless them numbers have changed at all over the years.

You use vacuum from the ventury to pull it into the measuring tube and than it goes back out through the ventury.
There is 8? Inlets on mine, I only use 4 of them with straws plus a mix cone for little things and if I end up washing jugs in (generally use the mix cone on the sprayer for that)

Since the tube is fairly narrow it is pretty accurate but you can put water in with the rince valve to get it zeroed in if you are not sitting level or what have ya. Then there is a gauge up the tube that reads down to oz's, qt's, gallons, fill it to the desired amount and flip the dump valve and your good to roll.

I personally like it because I believe it's the most hands free system there is as far as not coming in contact with product and it is very easy to clean out. It is not the fastest system in the world by no means but it's accurate and safe.

Now I haven't been around the new ones and I'm not sure what they did (mine was a prototype) lately but some guys have taken thiers in and had them redone and are claiming they are stupid fast compared to what I've got.

I think a new 28 or 30 gal (whatever they are now) is 10 grand? And like 4500$ to redo one like my old one, if they would even touch my prototype.

·
Registered
30 Posts
For everyone using scales on their water trailers how do you figure out the product weights from Totes and barrels that would be sitting on the scale so you can get accurate measurements

·
Registered
33 Posts
Look up the specific gravity of the product on the MSDS. Do a bit of math to find lbs per liter. I use a scale under totes or barrels and it has always worked out right to the pound for me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Look up the specific gravity of the product on the MSDS. Do a bit of math to find lbs per liter. I use a scale under totes or barrels and it has always worked out right to the pound for me.
What math formula do you use to come up with the lbs per litre and what scale system do you have set up. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
33 Posts
What math formula do you use to come up with the lbs per litre and what scale system do you have set up. Thanks for the info!
Well using Liberty for an example go to the MSDS for Liberty. Found here. Click on the PDF for Liberty english. Scroll down and see that Liberty 280 is 1.15 grams/cubic centimeter. Go to a specific gravity calculator like this one. Punch in 1.15, move the first box to g/cc second box to Lbs/Gal(BR). 11.5254712 Lbs/British gallon. Divide that by 4.5 and you get 2.561 Lbs/Liter. I have a set of 10000 lb Norac scale bars with a battery operated digital head. It has a pallet platform on it that lived a former life in my seed plant. It's been rattling down the road on my water truck for at least 10 years now and still as accurate as when new.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Well using Liberty for an example go to the MSDS for Liberty. Found here. Click on the PDF for Liberty english. Scroll down and see that Liberty 280 is 1.15 grams/cubic centimeter. Go to a specific gravity calculator like this one. Punch in 1.15, move the first box to g/cc second box to Lbs/Gal(BR). 11.5254712 Lbs/British gallon. Divide that by 4.5 and you get 2.561 Lbs/Liter. I have a set of 10000 lb Norac scale bars with a battery operated digital head. It has a pallet platform on it that lived a former life in my seed plant. It's been rattling down the road on my water truck for at least 10 years now and still as accurate as when new.
That specific and you don't use the extra couple decimal places to convert gallons to litres? Your measurements are gonna be way off and take away the benefit of using a scale....

:sFun_nahnahna:

·
Registered
33 Posts
I looked in my little book and looks like I use 2.447 lbs/l for Liberty. Maybe I just took the net weight of the tote written on the side and divided by 320 acres. In-crop canola Roundup Transorb HC is 1 lb/acre for each pass. That was figured out with specific gravity and is accurate to a couple pounds per tote.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks a lot!!! That is perfect for what we wanted and we are defiantly
Going to the scale system within 1 litre accuracy will be amazing for our farm and spraying operation.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts