The Combine Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally decided to put the newer style fold down rear glass in our 2188. What is involved in doing this? Do I have to remove the headliner? TIA

Troy

·
Registered
299 Posts
Not an easy job. Headliner has to be removed. Be sure and tape off the old glass, could not remove mine and had to break it and it was in a zillion pieces! If your machine is a 95' model, you'll have to scribe and "lay out" the holes that need to be drilled for the new framework of the window...a REAL pita!!!!!!!!!!! If it's a 96 or 97 model, the holes are already there. Pretty much a 2 man job, especially putting the headline back in. Once you get the new window in, you'll really like it for cleaning!

Curious, what did you have to pay for your window kit?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, I got the radio out, and the controll panel down that has the knobs and swiches for the lights and the A/C all out. Have the rest of the interior lights and A/C vents off, but what holds the head liner up? I have pulled on it, by where the door is ,when open and sure seems like some thing is still holding it. Trying to be real careful the liner seems to be in really good shape, and don't want to break it.

The kit cost about $400.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well mine is '95 model, so looks I have some work infront of me. I would sure appreciate some help and more info what I have to do to make it fit right. And maybe a tip on getting the head liner down.

TIA

·
Registered
90 Posts
To remove the headliner there are 3 bolts above the doors, I think you need to pull the door seal to get at them. TORQUE

·
Registered
299 Posts
Yes, there are 3 small bolts right above the glass doors, both sides. You can't see them unless you pull out the 2x2 inch foam strip. Be CAREFUL as the bolts are just "moulded" into the plastic part of the headliner. Remove the small nuts and pull headliner down.

Don't want to be the bearer of bad news but my dealer found the kit for me and 2 other fellas at a price of $216. The original price was over $700 and they investigated some more and found it another way for $216. They thought it might be a misprint but assured the 3 of us that it could be had for that price and I told them to get them comming before they found the mistake.....if there was one. This was 2 years ago.

Good luck. Like I mentioned, the "laying out" of the frame holes was the biggest obstical. In fact, I have a "machinest" friend that deals with "lay outs" all the time and had hime come over to do this percision work. Turned out real nice!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I put the fold down rear glass in my 2188 it took me 2 days to do it but it was all worth it.I love it so much its the best descision I've made on it so far. Its nice cause u turn 2 nobs and it folds down and is so easy to clean.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
HOLY CRAP!!!!! If you guys have a good Case Ih dealer you better be glad and let them know that they are doing you a good service. Been working on this project for a while, but anyway, orderd the fold down rear glass for a 2188 from my local dealer, not gonna mention any names.. cough,cough, Zaloudeks- but orderd it two weeks ago and said it would be in soon. Came home and waited about a week and pulled the headliner out and the back of the cab, on the inside out, and taped off the glass. Tried like heck to get the old glass out, but eventually broke it in the process. Today they called me back and said they could not get the kit in, and acted like it was more of a inconvience for them than any thing. So pissed off, looked up some dealers on the internet and found Straub, in Salina Kansas, called the parts department and told the guy about my story, and he kinda chukled and said he could have it to me in two weeks. He also said they never quit making the fold down rear window kit... They were also quite a bit cheeper, but I'm sure I will loose that in having it shipped to my place. Like I said if you have a good dealer let them know.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
You could have them ship to their store in wichita and pick it up. They ship store to store for free. Also if you want I live in winfield and work in wichita, i could pick it up and save you some miles if you want to meet in wellington.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts