The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are you guys wearing for footwear when spraying?. I've been wearing ducky shoes because they are rubber (chemical cant soak into them should I have a spill) and I can easily slip them off (I like to spray in my socks provided I didn't step in chemical and track it into the cab). Problem is, I really hate ducky shoes. Looking for an alternative that meets the impervious to chemical and easy to slip on/off criteria. Suggestions?.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Its not a proper comparison I suppose as we are still using a pull type sprayer and unfortunately working on the ground rather then on a trailer deck so any water that gets spilled which it does turns dirt into mud and so I wear rubber boots and then take them off and put on the work boots and go spraying, driving a tractor mind you. I don't know what else is out there to wear that gives the safety protection other then chemical resistant boots and the proper throw away type coveralls that are water proof. Since rubber boots are slip on, have another type of slip on shoe you go to the sprayer cab with and leave the rubber boots on the trailer deck well away from ever entering the cab.

So wheely, even though some of us might shudder at the answer you will give, do you also wear your thongs while quadding on the trails, at the beach, in the grocery store, driving your street bike, standing in line at the bank, taking your wife out to a fancy five star restaurant for your wedding anniversary ...... or while frying bacon to impress your wife :D

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Vehicle Car

LEHIGH Rubber Boots. Bought my first pair probably 10 years ago. Liked them so much I went back to Acklands and bought 5 more pairs. You can walk all day in these things and your feet, legs and hips do not ache at the end of the day. Your feet stay cool and dry to boot. Fiberglass toe instead of steel. A real comfy insole that lasts several years. The yellow rubber on the toe turns brown in acidic liquids and back to yellow in high PH liquids. Wear then in the feedlot, barn, all through calving, seeding in the mud, spraying, sloshing around the yard, in the shop, they are just plane tough boots. Rinse off with soap and water and they come out nice and clean. I have just wore out that second pair and am on the third. 3 more pairs to go. Can't find them any more, except through Lehigh Outfitters but they have the steel toed version.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Never step in chemical so my Redwings are extremely comfortable all day long, in all cabs all summer. Cab is clean enough, a brush in each cab to sweep daily. Do use disposable coveralls when filling sprayer, hard hat and visor. Stay safe, do what feels best.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Is filling up a sprayer that dangerous? I've never used any gloves, boots, or coveralls when filling my sprayer. Mind you, 98% of my spraying is burndown, so maybe I'm not dealing with anything that frightening.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't fumble with nozzles in the field any more. My main nozzles that I use for 90percent of my spraying are purple. I change them out annually and the new ones are installed with purple caps. I then have a "second string" of purple nozzles (one year old) right next to the "first string" nozzles but they have blue caps. When a nozzle starts acting goofy, I just flip to the second string (one year old) nozzle and continue spraying. When I get time I go down my boom and anything with a blue cap, I know the one beside it needs attention, I clean it or replace it and flip back to the "first string" purple cap. A lot quicker and easier than fumbling around with nozzles in the field.

·
Premium Member
5,233 Posts
Something I started doing a few years back and thats carrying a couple of those one liter Heinz Ketchup squeeze bottles full of water on the sprayer for when I need to mess with nozzles in the field. As said already, rubber gloves are too clumsy, so having the ability to hose things down a bit, clean a tip and rinse your fingers right then and there while standing at the boom works for me.

Gloves are just part of filling chemicals, never without them, don't bother with other gear though one probably should I agree:eek: and for the feet, well if its damp its rubbers, dry, my leather boots;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.