The Combine Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at upgrading our JD 8820 and was wondering what combines other forage seed growers are successfully using. We mostly grow timothy in a wetter short season area of central Alberta, so there is alot of material to push through the combine and after a rain it may not be totally dry. It is like hitting the race track once one get back to the annual crops.
I am color blind, but reliability is on the list. Basically all dealers are within 50 mi.so dealer support isn't an issue.
I am thinking a conventional machine would handle the material better, and we have a market for the straw.
Was considering: JD 9650/9610/9600 - the latter two would have to be low hrs.
JD 9660 WTS - might be hard on finances
NH CX840 or CX860
JD CTS - don't know how the seed sample will be.
Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
925 Posts
timseed .... We have run a 9600 in red clover , alsike clover and timothy for pedigree production . The reason that we have stayed with the walker machine is because of the forage seeds we grow . One thing that we had done on our 9600 was install the Sunnybrook concave , Hi-inertia cylinder with the staggered bars and rear beater and fine cut chopper .Also sped up the rear beater with the Deere beater slow down kit , just reversed the pulleys to boost the speed 25 % . Stock Deere concaves are not machined and leave a lot to be desired when treshing a crop that requires tight tolerances . When the time comes to upgrade our combine I am certain that we will keep ours as a second machine for forages . Hope this helps !

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info tmk. Being looking at 9600's for awhile. It's getting harder to find a lower hr machine that isn't the price of a 9650. Followed the Sunnybrook conversion for awhile and it makes sense,just couldn't justify putting one in the 8820. Did the clover crops yield decent this yr. Have heard of problems with the red clover (mite?) or was it a problem this yr.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Despite another wet June and the red clover growing a rank heavy growth the seed yield was ok. Applied Reglone at 1.25 litres / ac at 20 Gal/ ac and it was still pretty slow harvesting . As far as those nasty tiny red mites and Case Bearer larva go this year they did not kick us in the teeth as they have in the past . H opefully they are at a low end of their cycle and natural predators / parasites and disease are putting the brakes on those pests .

·
Registered
925 Posts
Despite another wet June and the red clover growing a rank heavy growth the seed yield was ok. Applied Reglone at 1.25 litres / ac at 20 Gal/ ac and it was still pretty slow harvesting . As far as those nasty tiny red mites and Case Bearer larva go this year they did not kick us in the teeth as they have in the past . H opefully they are at a low end of their cycle and natural predators / parasites and disease are putting the brakes on those pests .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts