The Combine Forum banner

Ford 642 Combine

11K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  ralf 
#1 ·

sorry for the bad quality I took it with my camera phone. it was also from quite a ways away but you get the idea. this combine has sat there since last milo harvest ('05) but has turned directions.

See less See more
#16 ·
Alex,

Two years ago I visited with the family that owns this machine. They actually have another one and an M2 or L2 Gleaner also. Supposedly the guy that bought both combines purchased them for 500 or 600 bucks. They told me it was cheaper to limp these along and save the money on a nicer machine. And, if one died.......well your picture tells that story. I have pics of both combines from that particular combine cruise. I will have to post them.

There is another ford combine running northwest of Otis out in the sticks.

Take care Eric

#17 ·
Well someone nearby should take an interest in saving the old machine. Fords [Claas] were really unique in many ways. They have the only cabs I can actually fully stand up in. Their "Uni-Trol" was also the first joystick to be used on a combine. I'm sure there were other great innovations, too, because Claas was no dunce when it came to engineering and building combines, even 40 years ago.

#18 ·
They were to a point. It's just that Ford was by far, better-known for their tractors, rather than combines or miscellaneous equipment. Ford did, at least, get the Claas combines into North America, just as Sperry-NH brought in the Claysons [Claeys] starting in 1966.

Another note about New Holland. They were a HUGE LEADER in hay and forage, but their combines were never any major player until 1980, with the second generation of the new, American-made Twin Rotors. The original TR 70 paved the way from 1975-1989 and was the first American-made NH combine! To this day, any conventionals [Twin Flows or TX] are still imported from their native Belgium. The conv's are more of a Canadian thing, now., or at least they were.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.