The Combine Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 930 F header that has fore / aft on the reel. Was looking for help on adapting a it for use on an 8820. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
You will have to install another control valve. The John Deere DATC solution number is 4978. Go to your dealer and give them that number and they can get the list of parts you will need. If they can not then i can, there is about 25 parts you will need.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
didnt even know an 8820 could handle a 30ft header....i know our 9600 bogged down quite a bit with a 25ft when we got into green steam soybeans...and ended up doing like 4mph the entire field..

·
Registered
321 Posts
If you want some pics of it, I rigged up a fasse valve to split the function of the auger swing lever - in pos. 1 it works the auger in pos. 2 it runs the fore and aft

The fasse valve works fine but does have some internal leakage

The DTAC solution posted above would be good too if you have access to salvage parts - the new valve and parts will be $$$$.

jd

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I would be interested in some pics.

I am also going to investigate putting an electric selenoid valve with a cab switch. A neighbor down the road was supposed to do that this year to his. If it works, I may also put one on the auger swing. I always need a third hand when I am trying to swing the auger.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I worked for a guy in HS who ran a 930 on his 8820, fore/aft was controlled through a fasse valve on the reel lift function....i think. its been a few years and beers since ive ran it.

ebert farms i run a 925 on my 9600 and 4mph is pushing it in decent beans. i like to slow down and spend alittle time out there, after all this is what i like to do, i have a job in town too

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Quote:didnt even know an 8820 could handle a 30ft header....i know our 9600 bogged down quite a bit with a 25ft when we got into green steam soybeans...and ended up doing like 4mph the entire field..

In grain, they could. In fact, if you go back and read some old sales lit on the Titans, you will see the 30' table was for the 8820, Deere's first combine to use that size. For soybeans though, I'd back off to a 24 footer or less.

The Model 8820 was also promoted as having a 12-row corn head. It was one of the first bines to use such, although the head is actually rather much for any 8820, especially in today's corn.

·
Registered
321 Posts
8820 will handle a 925 in good beans no sweat and there is one guy I know who ran a 930 and 1243 on his and loved it.

I had my 88 in 240 bu corn with an 8 row and it could take it no prob at 4.5 to 4.7 mph, total losses 1/4 to 1/2 bpa.

If I get a break in corn harvest I'll get a few pics of my splitter valve setup

jd

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks jd9600guru. I will be looking forward to it.

For the others who are concerned with a 30 foot header, I am not. We run 230's on these machines all of the time. Where we live we are lucky to cut 30 bushel beans. 17 to 20 is norm. I purchased this header so that I could cut wheat and beans with the same head.
It will let me go from a 230 and 924F to just one 930F header.

·
Registered
632 Posts
You'll like that 930F in beans.The full-fingered auger virtually eliminates the slug feeding.We went from a 220 flex to the 930F on our 8820 Titan 2 after trying it 1st. Our older 220 flex had auger flighting which brought the crop more into the center of the feeder house which wore out the center of the raddle chain and also the center of the cylinder raspbars.The 930F eliminated this problem. You'll ran slower but it does a better job of cutting the stems. We ran 3.2 mph in 55+bpa beans next to a rented 9650STS using identical 930F's and the 9650 rotor ran only .5 mph faster but the rotary could be set to thresh and clean the tougher beans easier.But be mindful of the extra weight of this header.We know a guy who damaged the feeder house due to operator complacency.

Ours doesn't have fore and aft adj. but a hydraulic splitter on the reel lift could work. Try www.vandminc.com for an idea on what to use.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I do not think it is wise to put a30 foot head on a 8820; it is too heavy for the machine; I would be cutting ruts in my fields during a wet year; plus, the object of the game is to get the most seeds in the hopper not to blow them out the back to feed the wild turkey; haste makes waste when you run too fast through a crop.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts