The Combine Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, haven't been on much for a while, as I am getting married and needed a stable job, so I am working under a skyline. Harvest is going well, despite the opposite schedule. Although I have never mentioned logging here before, that is the main industry here, and I have been quite involved in it here.

Anyways, I have thought about this a bit, and I was thinking about buying a newer log skidder than the one I have, but since I am getting a newer tractor, was wondering about forestry use.
Are most tractors just completely underbuilt?
What kind of modifications could be made besides plating and cage/rollbar?
Any advice would help.
Basically, a machine that I could farm with, and also use for the logging that I do.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Hello NH1825
Congrats on the upcoming wed, good luck!
I wouldn't take a farm tractor into the bush. Well, I did but was very careful about it. I started out skidding using my JD 2750 MFWD tractor with a 3 PTH hydraulic driven winch & butt plate that I built myself. I don't have any pics of it, but I'm sure you've seen them, lots of companies out there making them. I had 100' of cable & kept the tractor on the cleared trails. But driving 1 in the bush will destroy it in a hurry & then you will have no tractor for your farm work. Won't be long before you puncture 1 of those farm tires or rip off some of the wiring or some hydraulic lines on the tractor, because they are open on the bottom without stump pans. I put a light piece of tin for a stump pan on mine, just to keep the small brush from doing that. That pic of the Valtra looks like it's working in a park & not the bush. Where's all the underbrush?
If you're in logging country, there must be old skidders around to buy? Not a 2 or 3 year old machine, but 1 of those old firewood machines like I have.

·
Registered
924 Posts
First name that came to my mind was Valtra also, I think Fendt also have kits made for going in the bush... But I agree with Mcatshf, you won't keep your tractor in a great shape for a long time. Light, mirrors are also things that don't last long in the woods... Skidder would do the job for sure and might not be too expensive. But it's also one more machine to maintain....

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'd personally do like the last two suggested and find an old skidder.. Or even an old bulldozer, and then have a tractor for farming.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
There's these different types of machines made because they're different jobs. Why get a Valtra or Fendt for the high dollar and take it to the woods. I wouldn't. I agree with mcat, that valtra looks like it's working in a park, and only just began.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I haven't done too much out in the bush myself, our old cat in clearing small area's of land. Also having been around logging sites some and watching skidders bouncing around clawing over trees, dead falls and stumps and some equipped with the rear grapple and then the front blade etc ... winch. Often I see them fitted up with tire chains and the ones that are more like a net that covers the tire to prevent the tire from being ripped to pieces.

A farm tractor ... thats why they are farm tractors meant to pull equipment or push dirt with a blade but not go near any obstructions that can poke at any of its components. To me putting a farm tractor into the bush to work would be like buying a brand new combine and entering it into the combine smash up derby !.

·
Registered
398 Posts
There's these different types of machines made because they're different jobs. Why get a Valtra or Fendt for the high dollar and take it to the woods. I wouldn't. I agree with mcat, that valtra looks like it's working in a park, and only just began.
Valtra's are built for forestry work. They put forestry tires on on them and a big cage set up which wouldn't be good for farming. So yeah probably better going with what was suggested above.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Valtra's are built for forestry work. They put forestry tires on on them and a big cage set up which wouldn't be good for farming. So yeah probably better going with what was suggested above.
Wasn't challenging you or that fact about Valtra sawyer:) Just the comment about the high dollar for such a thing, and I've followed a lot of this guys posts in interest, and I don't think he'd want to go there, IMO.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I already have an older cat, but would like a grapple skidder for small contract jobs. Basically, I will hopefully be self-employed with farming and small logging jobs after my family gets established. For now though, I am logging, getting up at 2:30 am, and getting back at 3:00 pm, so not a whole lot of time for farming, but I am getting it done. Good thing I like logging a lot as well!

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Hello NH1825
Cheap machine in Winnipeg, MB (I'm not affiliated with this ad in any way, shape or form, just using as an example).John Deere 648D Single Arch Grapple Skidder - Winnipeg Farming Equipment For Sale - Kijiji Winnipeg Canada.
I assume that logging is still a going concern in Oregon? If you want to buy cheap forestry equipment go to where it isn't any more. Almost all the sawmills & pulp mills in North Western Ontario have closed up & the guys with forestry equipment have been selling it for ¢ on the $ because there is no local demand for the equipment because the industry is DEAD. May cost you a few $ in freight though, but still might come out $ ahead than buying local in a hot market.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, logging is not dead here at all. Log trucks everywhere, and the sound of talkie tooters throughout the mountains. Talkie tooter is the radio controlled horns. It is the main business here.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Wasn't challenging you or that fact about Valtra sawyer:) Just the comment about the high dollar for such a thing, and I've followed a lot of this guys posts in interest, and I don't think he'd want to go there, IMO.
NO problem I agree a Valtra/Fendt rigged up for forestry work would be $$$ 100K plus , probably no very practical.

·
Registered
388 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Valtra would definitely be the way to go, I think in germany they are attaching grapples to Valtras to do exactly the work you are describing. Heavy built and designed to also be used in forest also. Also for a Valtra I think it would be much less $$$ to buy one than a Fendt.

I don't know what the situation is about getting one imported through Agco, I think Valtra has not been sold in NA for a while now, allthough I don't know why...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Just reading another old thread here and want to throw my $0.02 in. We are both a Valtra and Fendt dealer. We ourselves have prepped multiple Fendt tractors as mulchers, and we are repairing multiple Valtra tractors for the same task since we took the Valtra contract over a few years ago.

You don't want a Valtra in this type of work, they are not built strong enough. A Fendt on the other hand is a different story, they work very well.

We have crafted thick metal cages that follow the original body lines, are easily removeable to clean or service the unit. Some of the other cages we have seen others build are not that appealing to work around.

Here is a picture of one unit we built a few years back.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts