The Combine Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Oh the good old days! Not!

Gonna put this stuff and Secan's Fusion hybrid that they are calling a composite hybrid in a canola trial this year.

Composite hybrid? Translation - synthetic hybrid. Translation - all the males (crappy yield short and tall) and females (the real hybrid seed). Translation - cheaper but you're getting less real canola producing seeds. Love that marketing dept!

If Fusion isn't a synthetic, please correct me, but it sure sounds that way.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In my part of the world we are having huge cleaver issues in in vigour rr and clearfield nothing really working that well even in cereals we are throwing two groups of chemical at them i guess we pushed are canola rotation to much.Im thinking of trying some edge to see if that would help if i do that i see no sense in spending 60 buck an acre on seed especially if it drowns out

·
Premium Member
5,951 Posts
Synergy is a full hybrid. It will out yield any conventional argentine canola... it will keep up very well with a 5020 or 9553 canola.

Leaves are hairy way less flea beetle trouble. I'll post pics of a stand seeded July 7th outside of saskatoon. Ready for harvest by October 15 did just under 40 this year.

Huge plants very fast growing very thick canopy.

·
Premium Member
1,745 Posts
How was the weed control did u put edge down and spray with muster
Weeds were horrible to the point, I said I would never grow conventional again, edge was $30 ac to spread, If you have very clean fields, ok, but I lost half my crop to weeds. I would try for herbicide resistant canola, some are coming off patent. I was trying to track down 46A76. Conventional really dirties your field, especially if you have wild mustard, then forget it. but never again conventional. i sprayed out the grasses with centurion never thought of muster, i am not up to speed with chemicals.

my farm has never had any hybrids ever or have i ever used a drop of gly on my land, so, i have absolutely zero weed resistance, dad when he farmed was so cheap he would only use 24D on wheat and thats it. when i started to use full rates i totally eradicated wild oats from my property in 2 years. (just a little background on how old school the farm was). he only planted canola 5 times in his 50 years of farming and heavily summer followed for weed control.

Take it for what it is worth, but i would never go down that road, and since i am about 20 years behind everyone here, i can start with old herbicide varieties where others have used up that option. Sure seed is cheap but it is heartbreaking when you are combining all day and only unload at the end of the work day. i am seriously considering flax over canola.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I hear you. The day we switched to rr canola was a treat. Even on fallow our conventional stuff with treflan was pretty dirty at times. Think the 46a76 would be alright as there is odyssey which is definitely cheaper than edge.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Weeds were horrible to the point, I said I would never grow conventional again, edge was $30 ac to spread, If you have very clean fields, ok, but I lost half my crop to weeds. I would try for herbicide resistant canola, some are coming off patent. I was trying to track down 46A76. Conventional really dirties your field, especially if you have wild mustard, then forget it. but never again conventional. i sprayed out the grasses with centurion never thought of muster, i am not up to speed with chemicals.

my farm has never had any hybrids ever or have i ever used a drop of gly on my land, so, i have absolutely zero weed resistance, dad when he farmed was so cheap he would only use 24D on wheat and thats it. when i started to use full rates i totally eradicated wild oats from my property in 2 years. (just a little background on how old school the farm was). he only planted canola 5 times in his 50 years of farming and heavily summer followed for weed control.

Take it for what it is worth, but i would never go down that road, and since i am about 20 years behind everyone here, i can start with old herbicide varieties where others have used up that option. Sure seed is cheap but it is heartbreaking when you are combining all day and only unload at the end of the work day. i am seriously considering flax over canola.
You might be ahead who knows. I think maybe synergy would work for late seeding when you get a good burn off and your high yield potential is gone anyway

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.