The Combine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Very interesting. What are the processes this ruling speaks of when it says "mutagenesis?" I mean any form of crop breeding selects for certain genes, ultimately changing a breed's gene structure in favor of the pre-existing mutations. Hopefully it can be argued that all forms of breeding is mutagensis, and therefore "GMO" making the entire exercise moot and meaningless. We can dream.

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mutagenesis is quite specific utilizing buffers to rip apart DNA to create mutant DNA. TransGenic used to be the distinction, genes from a complete different species. But i hear what you are saying, everytime a plant is infected by a virus - just like us, the virus injects its DNA into the plant substituting its own (This is how RR Canola is made, agrobacterium shooting the desired genes)

This can certainly go two ways, either we won't be able to grow anything or the organic industry will have to admit everything is safe now that they are sucked into the precautionary principle hell hole they have created.

·
Registered
447 Posts
by the time they are done they will be growing 1000 year old varieties getting 2bu/ac.

They are going to learn to be careful which wagon to jump on, some of the wagons are going to the garbage dump.

·
Registered
593 Posts
This can certainly go two ways, either we won't be able to grow anything or the organic industry will have to admit everything is safe now that they are sucked into the precautionary principle hell hole they have created.
I get your point, but you are being overly dramatic. If France wants to put themselves into a box that's fine. the producers that take advantage of it could make a killing. Us (the producers) should be able to adapt, but It will hurt the seed companies for sure.

The perception is that GMOs are evil. My business doesn't care what the truth really is. If GMO's were banned it might fix this over supply problem that we have and maybe half the worlds corn wouldn't go to ethanol

·
Registered
593 Posts
by the time they are done they will be growing 1000 year old varieties getting 2bu/ac.

They are going to learn to be careful which wagon to jump on, some of the wagons are going to the garbage dump.
ancient varieties with more modern agronomics might surprise a person. I'm sure there would be a yield reduction for sure, but fail to see the problem as long as everybody is playing by the same rules. I don't know what the answer is, but the current system is broken and limping along... It takes a weather disaster in the Midwest, India, or Brazil for any kind of significant price jump.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Just another great tech is put on hold , good or bad .
think down the road We will not be able to to do without it .
consumers want save “ healthy “ foods .
Our Chemical industry is gonna put out off business (soon or later) good or bad .
New tech will replace it .
Would be nice to buy resistance breeds and no fungicides any more right?
Just read article about terminate weeds through electricity and camera images.
Things are gonna change , politics and consumers will decide how fast ......

·
Registered
447 Posts
at some point in time there will be a food scare. Once that happens the tone will change. The problem now is that there is too much food out there, soft times create soft people.

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
Just view it as another crop to grow, another market to sell to. Not everyone will follow, I hope. Imaging the black market smuggling grape fruit into France. $140 a grapefruit, haha. Thought about it and had to add a 1 in front of that 4. Because that might be how pricing will work in France now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts