The Combine Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are you selling freezer beef for, and your location?

I hate to drive people away, but don't want to short myself either. Just wondering. I need to increase a tad. I'm only getting $320 a head to feed a critter for a year versus selling it as a feeder right now, that seems too cheap. $2.25 / hanging pound, at that I've got people balking. Touchy situation!;)

·
Registered
216 Posts
it is impossible to sell freezer beef, compared to super market prices. The big slaughter plants are so efficient, they make money on all the stuff we throw away, the blood feet tail. I was told that there is 20lb of meat on the head of a beef, and local butcher throw it away.

only way to make any money is to sell the animals that have a problem, like hurt foot, pink eye problem and such. good animals but need baby sat. that are ok in a small pen.

I think there is money on butchering young open cows 3 maybe 4 year old, well fed, they can have tender steaks.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Beef

On your freezer beef does that mean you have to butcher on the farm or just sell the live critter ? Or ?

I just sold my calves 2 weeks ago at a Central Alberta Auction Mart.

500-700lbs averaged $2.80/lb steers & $2.62/lb heifers.

In the spring I sold some nice 1100 lbs ready to butcher animals for $1.75/lbs. Mobile butcher then charged $.50/lbs of net meat to kill, cut & wrap. My animals dress out around 60% carcass yield. So I guess for hanging meat 2.90/lb w/butcher on top at +$.50/lbs.

But this year the prices are going to be way up as beef is doing well in Canada right now there is a shortage of breeding stock.

FWIW Mark

·
Registered
836 Posts
You must be getting all kinds of sausage, pepperoni and pattys & such to make it that expensive ? I mean the butcher price ??
That is just his rate no matter what you get done I think, I haven't talked to him yet. I didn't pick the guy, that was just where all the calves were going.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
We always sell our beef for the price we would get on the rail at the packer for the givin week that we deliver to the slaughter house. The buyer pays for cutting and wrapping. Everybody wants something different so they can decide and pay extra if they want.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it is impossible to sell freezer beef, compared to super market prices. The big slaughter plants are so efficient, they make money on all the stuff we throw away, the blood feet tail. I was told that there is 20lb of meat on the head of a beef, and local butcher throw it away.

only way to make any money is to sell the animals that have a problem, like hurt foot, pink eye problem and such. good animals but need baby sat. that are ok in a small pen.

I think there is money on butchering young open cows 3 maybe 4 year old, well fed, they can have tender steaks.
I don't agree with this. Like said, you have to find people who appreciate the product, and not looking for a sale at Walmart.

The way we do it, we put the live critter in a trailer and haul it about 10 miles. That guy kills, skins, halves for a fixed price, $40. He will cut and wrap, but we let our customers pick their processors, and most pick a local meat market who goes to this slaughter house and picks up the halves for age hanging, then processes. The meat market guy charges $0.45 per pound hanging, I think $0.50 for vacuum pack. The buyer pays for the processing, the kill (say they buy a 1/2, they pay for half the kill), and pay me my price too. At 60% yield, it usually ends up the price per pound of net meat in the freezer is right around buying hamburger ( and I mean hamburger, not ground chuck or something better) in the store. And the quality is way better. I don't have trouble finding customers, I was just looking for what others are getting for price.

There is a guy around with a portable rig who comes to your farm. It isn't much cheaper, and you're left with the mess to clean up. Pays to have several done at once if you choose this way.

·
Registered
121 Posts
At 60% yield, it usually ends up the price per pound of net meat in the freezer is right around buying hamburger ( and I mean hamburger, not ground chuck or something better) in the store. And the quality is way better. I don't have trouble finding customers, I was just looking for what others are getting for price.

There is a guy around with a portable rig who comes to your farm. It isn't much cheaper, and you're left with the mess to clean up. Pays to have several done at once if you choose this way.
Thats exactly what I tell my customers and that pretty well makes their decision to go ahead. It is funny how many people do not know how much they spend on beef in one year so when you tell them the price w/cut & wrap they are at first shocked and then after think about it realize there getting everything for hamburger. I get the portable guy out as he is closest and does a good job, no different between 1 or 4 his max.

Mark

·
Registered
34 Posts
We always sell our beef for the price we would get on the rail at the packer for the givin week that we deliver to the slaughter house. The buyer pays for cutting and wrapping. Everybody wants something different so they can decide and pay extra if they want.
I use choice price currently at $ 2.45/lb if people like what u produce they won't complain!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.