The Combine Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have been having alot of problems with the front rotor bearing going out when thrashing oats . The straw is a bit green and tends to wrap between the bearing " kidney " and the front of the rotor ,it gets so bad that it will start to smoke and it puts alot of side pressure and heat on the bearing . Is there any fix for this problem , we've tried to increase the clearance inside by putting more washers on the inside to no avail , then tried to decrease the clearance with no better results . Is there some type of cutter or shear that would cut the straw and stop it from wrapping
????
Marshall

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Yes there is. A sharpened wear blade and a square edged kidney. Set the sharpened wear blade up close to the kidney. Like .015" to .030" clearance.

Ron Kile now offers a pre sharpened wear blade that is cast in a very abrasive resistant alloy. It is adjustable and well made. Give him a call and tell him what you are having issues with. I have a set in my machine, but I cant find the right picture that I have somewhere that shows them installed and setup. If I find it, I'll post it.
http://www.kilemfg.com/

·
Registered
104 Posts
I don't know the age of your machine but when cutting grass we have had the same problem. We could destroy a bearing in fifty feet. After doing everything you have done we finally just replaced the kidney piece. It did not look overly worn but a new kidney solved the problem and we haven't lost one since.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts