The Combine Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not that familiar with what damage frost does at different stages to crop, its 0.9 in Portland, I have about 5% of heads (wheat) out and some flowering? And at toolondo it's frosted last couple of mornings, have about 1% of heads just coming out? Alot of canola in flower and faba beans as well?

How is everyone doing?

NF...yes stock looks better everyday!!

Ant....

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Are you in a frost prone area ant, usually not that bad in wetter areas. It seems to be a feature of dry conditions. We got frosted back in 1999. We had had heaps of summer moisture and planted perfectly in the sowing window for the first time in our life and had the most magnificent crops. We also really lived off that summer moisture and had a winter drought. We were told later by those that experienced the frost it was outside their tent when they were camping down the coast. Usually the damp coastal air keeps it away. Every paddock was frosted to some extent but we managed a 2.5t/ha average. Should have been 4.5. More has been lost from fear of frost than frost itself.

I might leave it to the experts to tell you if you are ok, but it doesn't sound to bad from what you have said.

Ps canola that year didn't seem to be affected.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Frost???? Good Lord you just can't catch a break can you? Our experience is that frost at that stage is not good. BUT in our part of the world we wouldn't consider .9 or roughly 33.6 f) a frost, or at least a damaging one. We generally don't have trouble until it hits 29f and below. A lot depends on the number of hours the frost layed in, the type and density of the soil, and the moisture in the field.

We had 3 nights of 28 last spring at about the same stage and still did ok in spots. The heavier dark ground that was well pack did well. But the lighter, fluffier whiter soil got pretty well cooked.

I might be wrong but I don't think you'll have any problem at those temps.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On the coast we normally safe so this is a bit out of character? However inland at toolondo frost is always on people's mind, I actually split my sowing days there for frost mitigation...that may have payed off a little, I thought the long season wheat there would not go to head until a later time...but that's wrong, however the stuff looks good compared to most up there, I know some really good farmers down the road so will catch up with them during harvest and see how the Forrest compared to there later sown stuff, some was planted at the same time as well but has struggled, Forrest has high vigour for sure.

Minus 2.4 C at Horsham, how does flowering canola or faba beans go with that?

Ant....

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Sorry to hear ant :( I think you should be ok, sounds like a light frost and if you are only just starting to flower you shouldn't lose to much. Wheat is pretty vulnerable during flowering, not that vulnerable before flowering. Fingers crossed for you buddy.

Have been wondering if crops have been frosted in south central NSW this week. Some overnight lows:

Cowra: Fri -2, Sat -2.5
Temora: Fri -2.1, Sat -2.3
Young: Fri -3.5, Sat -3.4

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd be surprised if there's no touch ups happening sneeky?.... Hoping price come feb when they realise not much around goes up?? I might warehouse the toolondo crop? For a month or two if I can afford...

Ant...

·
Registered
198 Posts
The correlation between frost and moisture is massive.
The drier the soil the more vulnerable the crop, barley for instance is normally only at risk for 2 to 3 days a year but add dry conditions that can extend out to 2 to 3 weeks.
Farming in donald and Lismore gives us a massive difference this year, horrid dry conditions in donald and frost pretty much seals the deal for a hay crop out of all wheat and barley.
At Lismore without major frosts and small rain showers we'll still strip above average crops thankfully.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.