The Combine Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone try seeding pulses right before freezeup in the fall to get ahead? We called off half the pea and faba crop due to the late spring. Got me thinking some crazy thoughts. Not sure if they have the dormancy to survive winter as seedlings, like we'd do with rye or winter wheat. But why not seed right before freezeup so they don't germinate? Could it work?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Try a small acreage, I don't see why it wouldn't work if they don't germinate. I've seen volunteer peas poke through the snow in early spring.

The first time I seeded Winter Wheat in 81 it froze in days later, it was an after thought and way to late to seed them. They did germinate just fine in the spring.

I don't know if I would do it with Beans, if Faba's are like other Beans they won't like the cold.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Presuming this is ground that’s previously has pulses on it?
You’ll likely have to rely on existing soil microbes for inoculation

·
Super Moderator
3,240 Posts
About 20 ish years ago frost seeding, a term coined when late fall seeding was deemed to klutzy, was touted.
Actually trails took place and while the odd success occurred the failures were more common and catastrophic failures too frequent. Frost seeding died.

Canola trails but I suggest pulse frost seeding wouldn’t be any less risky and the inoculation issue adds to the problem.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I'll try a small acreage, i.e. a few rows in the garden since it sounds unlikely to be a go. One planted in late Aug. One mid Sep. One the latest possible before freeze-up.

Good point on the inoculant. Most of our land hasn't seen pulses yet. Though I've had inoculant misses before that turned out fine.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I have no experience with pulses but tried frost seeding wheat one year. Wasnt a disaster but yeilded about 10bu less than the area. What happened was it got unusually warm early spring and the wheat started to germinate then turned like -12C for a couple nights and some of the wheat froze. Probably lost about 30%. It was only 70 acres so i left it to see what would happen. The wheat that survived was beautiful. Huge heads and yeilded very well. I shiuld have just went in and reseeded the poor areas and yeild would have been above average. If id do it again i would probably seed a little deeper than normal to try prevent early germ and possibly mitigate a heavy frost damage.

As to the innoculant, id put it in when you seed. It will survive in the ground and be there in the spring when the seed germinates. The bacteria occur naturally here so they obviously are able to survive the winter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts