The Combine Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
-1 last night at 10pm and -6 this morning. Swath or wait to see the damage? It is a twisted tangled mess so if it doesnt shell out it would be ideal for straight cutting?
how long does it take for pods to shatter or do they always shatter? What are the visuals to look for?

Thanks
Ron

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Just go with your original plan. Has to go through combine anyway. The bad seeds will go watery and stay that way. If you planned to straight it then stick with that.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Talked to the canola council agronomist this morning, he is looking at some fields that endured -6, and he says just swath, there is no hope, and it will start shelling. Still watching to see what happens with mine, as it had some snow cover. Had planned to straight cut some of it. Would be interested to hear other opinions.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I think I would swath it down. Like skgrain said the frozen seeds go watery and it takes a while for things to dry out, not sure I would want it standing the whole time.

·
Registered
775 Posts
2 or 3 years ago we had the same issue, swathed canola into a freezing event. Then swathed a bit the next day (it was whiting off as I swathed it). Then based on another grower's experience we stopped swathing and left the other 3 fields to straight combine, barely 60% color changed at the time of the freeze. The canola we swathed the 3 days prior and up into the night of the frost had 8-15% green seed. The 3 fields we left were 0-1% green seed and we had no issues with pods dropping or popping or shattering. Variety was Invigor 5440. Made significantly more canola in the standing vs the swathed, 30% at least and #1 versus #3.

Not sure what variety but if its Invigor based on our experiences I'd let it stand and straight cut it.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Not sure why the canola council agronomist told you to swath, seems they still are reading from the '90's handbook. Don't discount the benefits of straight cutting. Damage is already done.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Our experience, from 3 years ago, was better to leave it stand. -8c during swathing. Did some swathing the next day or two after heavy frost. It was extremely difficult to swath, way too light and fluffy after freezing. Left the rest to straight cut. 8-10% green in swathed. 2-4% green in standing, plus 1-1.5 bu more yield in standing that year. This was on H29 Pioneer, L150 Invigor, and 5440 Invigor.
We read all the info about pods exploding and such, but we did not see that happening.
I know what we will do next time we have an early hard frost, and that is straight cut!

·
Super Moderator
4,676 Posts
Leave it!

I'm with Brian, bfl and draww8.
In fact, it's exactly what I'm going to do.

I have a plot that may require some sweet talk but hey, I got married right?
Twice.;)

·
Registered
465 Posts
Had -4C on 30% color change. Neighbor is swathing same kind of stuff right now. Can tell it doesn't flow as nice through the swather already only 2 days after the frost. Will it get harder yet to swath if a guy waits a few more days. Had 1 quarter to straight cut already. Not sure I want another one. My first year straight cutting.:confused:

·
Registered
465 Posts
36' 962 Macdon. Just getting an upper cross auger installed.
I'm not worried about the machine behind it. The 480 won't care too much if there are a few green stems.:)

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Regarding straight cutting

I am about to find out what happens when straight cutting frozen canola. Made the decision to leave it all stand and straight cut what ever ends up being worthwhile.
I tried swathing, it is so green and heavy and tangled that it was a nightmare. Maybe will work better once it has dried up, but pods were shattering badly enough while wet, by the time it has dried a few more days they will shatter worse. I figure I might as well shatter them with the combine header and at least save most vs. shattering with the swather, losing them all, then the combine pickup. IF they are going to burst open on their own, then it really won't matter if they are in a swath or standing, seeds won't remain in the swath.

And it looks like some pods/ plants are not dead, so will see if they continue to fill while standing. Not sure if that is possible after -6, but there are new flowers all over the fields, and lower pods don't look white yet, seeds still look normal. Top pods are definitely done.

·
Super Moderator
4,676 Posts
If misery likes company...

I believe you are making the right decision jvw and I will be moving to 100% straight cut this year, for all the reasons you list.:)
Where are you?

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I am as far straight west of Red Deer as you can grow crops.

I straight cut some last year and was very pleased with the results. I didn't straight cut any of the hailed/regrown canola last year, but in hindsight, I should have, as the survivors shelled out very badly by the time the regrowth was ready to swath. I think I could have saved a lot by leaving it standing.

The experts don't seem to recommend straight cutting the frozen canola, and maybe I will find out why.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I will virtually be a rookie straight cutter...we have 3000ac of late planted June 6 to 14 canola here in SE Sask....just bought new McDon fd75 heads and own 1 maxflow CLAAS draper...any modifications needed for maxflow or McDon fd75? How important are the cross augers.....

·
Premium Member
5,966 Posts
Se sask toiler I would not attempt it without a cross auger. Our fd70 will not feed it unless the cross auger is turning. It is slow going. It seems like 2.5-3 mph is all we can do with a 40ft and 590r. We are having problems with the divider shelling out the canola. Has anyone taken the divider pipe off the end or done something else to help with this?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Make sure your fd75 has the small seed kit and I have heard of brackets to allow the reel to come back further to prevent shelling in front of the cutter bar. I havent used the reel brackets but a 35' fd75 allowed us to straight cut canola with a 9230 with horsepower being the limiting factor. Feeding was not a concern at all.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I removed the divider rods so that shelling doesn't start until the header and at least some of it lands inside the header. Reel set as far back as possible.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts