The Combine Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
combine is new to me....filled it full or fuel and still doesnt work...thought it might need the low warning recalibrated...no luck..volt meter and coolant hand works...any ideas?

havent looked it over too good but noticed there is a connector (4pin) i think that is unhooked that is in the battery compartment...maybe running off the positive battery cable....what is that?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I think it was the `05s that had a problem with the sending units sticking. It is located under the plate by the fuel cap. pull it out and free it and if it still don`t work replace it I think it may be the same as an MX sending unit . As far as the wire in the battery maybe for the sieve light don`t know for sure but can check for you

·
Registered
998 Posts
The previous poster is correct. The plastic float inside the sender unit can get cuts/scratches on it and stick inside. Clean around the sender unit, remove from the tank, undo the bottom cover on the sender, clean up the float with a fine file or emery tape and clean / blow out the sender housing. Refit the float and plug back in to check. If it still doesn't work, earth the wires at the sender plug - the gauge should go to full. If the gauge works and the sender doesn't you gotta get a new sender unit. Good luck

·
Registered
26 Posts
The fuel sender on the 2588 combines does not have a float arm. It is a metal tube with a internal float that rides inside the tube. The float has magnets on it that trips reed switches that close and is connected to a series of resistors on a PC board. There has been issues with the float sticking. Sometimes you can take it out and tap the tube and shake it and the float will free up. There has been a design change to resolve the issue and a replacement sender from the dealer should have the latest sender. As far as wires in the battery box, there is a 2 pin connector with black wires that connect to a pigtail on the negative battery cable post. These are ground wires for the electronics, but I would think you would see some devices not working correctly with that ground connector disconnected. If there is another connector in the battery box then I'm stumped.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
johhny boy....i plugged the connector up and the tailings monitor display showed up....i thought it was missing after reading the owners manual....i also noticed the fuel gauge started working....forgot to unplug it and see if the gauge quit again....not sure why it was unplugged i dont see anything malfunctioning....so not sure what the reason was in unplugging it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Our 05 2377 would stick in the low postion if we were below1/4 tank then later after some vibrating would start working did it from day 1. we replaced the sender unit under warranty worked fine after that!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts