The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hey I have a 2015 8240 having trouble with the (fuel pressure relief valve open) code coming up.
Anyone else have this problem?
I am getting that on 2013 4430 sprayer. Shut machine off for an hour and runs ok again until I hit a bump. I will change the sensor under valve cover when I get time but could be wire too

·
Registered
751 Posts
You got to love it when they say just replace .......$$$$.
Might be worth finding out what the fuel rail pressure is reading, with a mechanical gauge and compare that to the digital reading.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have come across similar issues with Flagships. Can often be chaff or plastic filings in fuel tank that block the mesh around the pickup as the fuel demand increases and still allows enough fuel supply when not under load. Drain the tank and flush it out

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
Some fuel pumps have a small screen in the pump right inside the in-line from the fuel filters. I would check a service manual to see if there is one, neighbor stx tractor had major fuel and power problems, they changed everything until a mechanic told them about this screen in the fitting, sure enough plugged solid never been cleaned. totally different tractor after that, nobody knew it was there.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Is that the only code? If it is this is what I would have done. The case tech should have hooked up their est and monitored fuel pressure with the key on engine not running. The pressure should not fluctuate and will likely read between 75-500 psi, the manufacture tolerances are not that tight. While watching the pressure they should flex the harness and try to get the pressure to fluctuate. I would bet dollars to donuts you have a bad wirings harness. Replace both the one under the valve cover and the external one there have been problems with both. Do not over tighten the injector nuts, just snug. You can do the wiring harnesses yourself if you feel comfortable getting under the cover, if the machine is not in derate there won’t be any reason to hookup the est other then to monitor the pressure. These harnesses fail occasionally it’s not out of the ordinary. Get the special zip ties that stand the harness off of the injector lines too. If you do it yourself cut the zip ties on the plastic holders that secure the harness to the engine instead of pulling the holder out of the holes, the holder breaks off in the holes when you try to remove them. You can’t use a mechanical gauge, I haven’t seen one that goes to 30,000psi. There is one other possibility but I have not seen it yet so if this doesn’t fix you get back to us.

·
Registered
290 Posts
If there are fuel deviation codes as well it could be restriction on the suction side. Close fuel shut off on tank and remove hose from it. Open valve and fuel should shoot out five feet or so if not screen is plugged. Short term fix take off fuel fill cap and blow back into tank where hose fits with compressed air to dislodge junk from screen. Long term fix flush tank.

·
Registered
290 Posts
If you can supply me all of the codes the technician pulled I can help you narrow it down if that’s the only code being thrown I would check what I have written above. They should’ve saved every code that they pulled off your machines. Typically a combination of codes can eliminate certain things.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is that the only code? If it is this is what I would have done. The case tech should have hooked up their est and monitored fuel pressure with the key on engine not running. The pressure should not fluctuate and will likely read between 75-500 psi, the manufacture tolerances are not that tight. While watching the pressure they should flex the harness and try to get the pressure to fluctuate. I would bet dollars to donuts you have a bad wirings harness. Replace both the one under the valve cover and the external one there have been problems with both. Do not over tighten the injector nuts, just snug. You can do the wiring harnesses yourself if you feel comfortable getting under the cover, if the machine is not in derate there won’t be any reason to hookup the est other then to monitor the pressure. These harnesses fail occasionally it’s not out of the ordinary. Get the special zip ties that stand the harness off of the injector lines too. If you do it yourself cut the zip ties on the plastic holders that secure the harness to the engine instead of pulling the holder out of the holes, the holder breaks off in the holes when you try to remove them. You can’t use a mechanical gauge, I haven’t seen one that goes to 30,000psi. There is one other possibility but I have not seen it yet so if this doesn’t fix you get back to us.
That’s the only code.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Probably the pins on the connector for the ecm. Find out which pins are for the pressure sensor and either put new ones in or jam a tiny bit of tin foil in them. Have done that to many iveco motors. More often it’s the sprayers that cause issues but can be all of them.

·
Registered
970 Posts
If there are fuel deviation codes as well it could be restriction on the suction side. Close fuel shut off on tank and remove hose from it. Open valve and fuel should shoot out five feet or so if not screen is plugged. Short term fix take off fuel fill cap and blow back into tank where hose fits with compressed air to dislodge junk from screen. Long term fix flush tank.
Long term fix is to weld a stem with holes drilled into it to the fuel fitting. Have had plastic flashing from the molding process break off inside the tank.

We have done one wiring harness under the valve cover. NH machines same motor family.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Hey I have a 2015 8240 having trouble with the (fuel pressure relief valve open) code coming up.
Anyone else have this problem?
If that combine has a throttle that you can select the high idle speed it would be interesting to know if reducing the RPM by 20 or 30 would alter the frequency of occurrence of the open relief valve code. I have seen this on a Case tractor.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts