The Combine Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a small 500 gallon diesel tank that has developed some pin holes in the bottom side and the tank will leak about a gallon of fuel per week. I tried to jb weld the pin holes but must have missed some. Haven't found any cheap used tanks around and money is a bit tight. Anyone think if I cleaned the bottom of the tank real well and put the rhino lining on it would be good enough to fix the tank? Seems to work well in my pickup box? Any other suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!!

·
Registered
676 Posts
It is rusted out and done. Time for a new tank. Around here they still sell single wall tanks so get one of them. The fuel is worth more than the tank so just half fill it for now. That's what I would do anyways. I have a couple rusted out tanks you can have if you find a good way to fix them.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Ditto. If that rhino lining starts to dissolve into your fuel, how many engines can you afford to fix? Ditch that tank before you lose more than it's worth in fuel. Crude oil may be going down, but if anyone sees that fuel leak in your yard your going to have feds crawling all over you. Can't remember the exact number, but I think something like any spills over 20 liters are reportable. Rent the wife out for the weekend and get a new tank. I wouldn't even look at the used stuff because a new one lasts so long... a used one might be 6 months away from where you are now.

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
I used Seal-all to fix a combine fuel tank that had a leaky seam, saved taking the combine apart. Need to get it clean though first.

How old is this tank? If it is leaking in more than one spot how thin is it all over the bottom???

I agree there are likely used ones to be had for cheap or free.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I fixed a pinhole leak on the bottom of my tractor's tank on a seam. As pointed out, if it is just a 500 gallon tank, likely rusted out, just get rid of it. What worked for me was to weld a "slug" of metal over the spot that was leaking. I had it right full of diesel. It was a bad drip, several gallons /day. On the slug, I drilled and tapped the "slug" for a 1/8"or 1/4" pipe fitting - I forget. It was a dirty messy job that I only did because I needed the tractor to finish seeding. I then welded it in place over the pinhole area and cleaned and put out fire as necessary. The leak found itself to leak through my plughole. Once I had a pressure tight seal, I turned in a pipe plug to stop the leak.

The reason behind my issue was that I blew air into the diesel tank to start the tractor in spring. I was having difficulty priming the pump as there is no device there to do that. The weakened seam developed a pinhole leak, likely covered over by paint and finally let loose. The leak didn't develop until 5 days later and then I analyzed how it began! Expanding the air with low air pressure may have contributed to it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.