The Combine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of doing a full finger upgrade on my 925 grain head. Is it a good idea, how hard is it to install, any advice will be appreciated. I will use it only for soybeans. Also, what is the best cutting system for beans, or should I stick with Deere guards & sections?

·
Registered
193 Posts
I don't know how hard it is or what it all involves, but the full fingered head is well worth it!!!!!!!!! You will have vertually no more slugs being fed in pluging anything up, and it also helps if the stems are still a little green, it makes them feed very even compared to a head without full finger!

I went from a 925F non full fingered to a 930F full fingered (on a 9610) and even though its a bigger head I still kept (if not gained) the same ground speed!

As far as the guides and such i get the deere guides and aftermarket(cheaper) sickle blades. I get the deere guards because IMO they take more of the abuse than the blade itself. Till so far its worked good for me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the comments, I'm thinking of getting a kit from Shoup, would like comments from anyone if you have any experience installing and or using one of theirs. Thanks again, Al

·
Registered
657 Posts
what is the cost for the kit. would you think it might be cheaper to find a nice used head with it already on it. i know when we priced it through deere a few years ago our sales man said it would be better to upgrade to a different head. i guess just something to think about

·
Registered
119 Posts
The cheap way is to use grain grabbers won't be the same as full finger but will help for a lot less.

·
Registered
21 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
I agree with you all on here about the full finger auger. However, I think that if you really want performance with a flexhead in soybeans an air reel should be something to consider. We went from a JD 930 without full fingers and no air reel to a new 930F with both. I rode with my buddy in his combine with a 930 full finger (and no air reel) and I thought it was better than without full finger, but ours with an air reel was considerably better even than his. The air reel pretty much eliminates all bunch feeding (even in "tough" conditions) and shatter loss over the sickle. About 6 or so years ago the Crary air reel was about $10,000 or so. I think it was one of the best inverstments we've ever made in equipment...it saves beans and wear on the machine (and operator!) from slug feeding. I think it's safe to say you could add .5 to 1 mph of harvest speed as well most of the time with the air reel. It is now a rare occasion to plug the feederhouse on our 9610 combining beans.

As far a sickle goes, years ago we ran Tiger Jaws, but for the last 15 or so years we have just run the JD factory sickle and have been satisfied. When JD came with the corse serrated edge sections we've ran them because they last longer. Have considered a Crary sickle, or something else maybe, but havn't spent the money yet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you cannot figure it out you can take it to our shop we specialize in full finger conversions. We convert augers for Johndeer and were one of the first places to full finger these augers. You can reach me at 815-257-4661 we are located in IL. Thank you

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
I haven't really ever seen an advantage to a full fingered auger in cereals, just more maintience I find. It was our first year growing beans so I can't really comment there.

What are the benefits to an air reel in soybeans? We done ours this year with a JD 630 flex. I kinda of found that they cut like peas. When the plants were tough in the morning they didn't want to cut or feed very nice even at 2mph, then it was like somebody flipped a light switch and we were doing 5mph with no problems.

Do most guys run an air reel with that big tube out in front, or the ones where the air comes out the actual reel? Which one is better? You probably can't use that one with the tube in front for wheat then?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts