The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if its still worth the cost and tire tracks to apply fungicide to flax even though we have no rain in the forecast for the next 2 weeks? Crop looks great and is just about to start flowering. Anyone have any experience or comments to share?

Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Best time to apply fungicide on Flax is 7 days after first flower, so that still gives you a week. On my farm if I had to pick one crop to apply fungicide on it would be Flax. If your crop looks good with great potential I would tell you to do it.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Best time to apply fungicide on Flax is 7 days after first flower, so that still gives you a week. On my farm if I had to pick one crop to apply fungicide on it would be Flax. If your crop looks good with great potential I would tell you to do it.
I would agree. Don't even look at the forecast.

·
Registered
775 Posts
What kind of disease issues arise in flax? No experience but curious. Does it keep it from lodging or will disease stop the plant prematurely?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
In 3 years of spraying Headline in strips on Flax I have yet to see any response on replicated trials.
Are you still getting decent flax yields because we are down under 20 without fungicide here and have been for 15 years. In the 70s 80s and early 90s we grew 30 underseeded to alfalfa without even trying. Often close to 40 with some effort. Headline is getting us crops again here. Pasmo is often blamed.Fusarium is also an issue here.

·
Premium Member
5,770 Posts
Are you still getting decent flax yields because we are down under 20 without fungicide here and have been for 15 years. In the 70s 80s and early 90s we grew 30 underseeded to alfalfa without even trying. Often close to 40 with some effort. Headline is getting us crops again here. Pasmo is often blamed.Fusarium is also an issue here.

We've averaged about 32 over the past 3 years. We have been the only ones growing flax in the area up until this year and have a pretty long rotation. I do have a quarter of flax on flax this year and it will get a test put on it to see if there is a benefit to fungicide in that situation.

Our environment is so different that I am sure that is a huge factor, as is the amount of flax in the area and in rotation. Shows that we can't just trust blanket advertisements and practices in Western Canada and think it will work on our farms.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Shouldn't the title question be asked of all crops, not just flax?
Agreed. I've got some late seeding canola just coming into 20% bloom. Do t think it's going to get sprayed. Good rotation on those few quarters too.
I do have to finish my lentils. They need to be sprayed regardless of rainfall, IMO, just adds bigger yield better quality.

I hate to say it....but with these crops growing hard with all this heat lately (and the wind), we sure could use a rain in the next 7-10 days...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is our first time growing flax and everyone ive talked basically says headline on flax is a no brainer....just do it. Our land is all virgin land to flax and I guess I'm just not convinced I will see a result and yet growers tell me 20% yield increase. We had been growing lentils for 20 years and with lentils we sprayed fungicide at first flower basically every year, not sure if we saw a yield increase every year but it definelty increased standability.
I know we are spraying verona durum right now with fungicide and I'm questioning myself everytime I look at the two week forecast...no rain..but the flag leaf is very dirty....
With flax ive had a more than one grower tell me they would spray flax with fungicide before they would spray lentils.
Thanks for all the input!

·
Registered
382 Posts
This is our first time growing flax and everyone ive talked basically says headline on flax is a no brainer....just do it. Our land is all virgin land to flax and I guess I'm just not convinced I will see a result and yet growers tell me 20% yield increase. We had been growing lentils for 20 years and with lentils we sprayed fungicide at first flower basically every year, not sure if we saw a yield increase every year but it definelty increased standability.
I know we are spraying verona durum right now with fungicide and I'm questioning myself everytime I look at the two week forecast...no rain..but the flag leaf is very dirty....
With flax ive had a more than one grower tell me they would spray flax with fungicide before they would spray lentils.
Thanks for all the input!
I would be listening to the guys in your own area. I wouldn't necessarily look at the two week forecast as it can change pretty fast. You have a certain window to hit so either do it or don't. Around here it seems dry but alot of humidity is making very dewy mornings and nights are cold.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Leave a test strip if you do spray to see if it was the right choice, be interested to hear if it was a success since flax hasn't been grown on your ground before. We are first time grower as well and we aren't spraying ours. the crop looks real good right now. What are the signs of pasmo? We don't have fusarium in this neck of the woods so far, southeast of Edmonton.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Could do the headline test strip and leave rest of field untouched, have graincart with scales handy and see if it pays.....
Spraying fungicides like headline on almost everthing everytime will get us in trouble in the near future.

·
Registered
382 Posts
This might sound crazy but I see no point of leaving test strips with fungicides. All it does is tell you if you made the right decision for that particular year as every year will vary so much with conditions.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Anyone have any input on the whether the fungicide helps standability? (prevent lodging?) It looks like the flax is gonna have some height this year!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts