The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there is always a big discussion on fungicide on flax. Yes it delays maturity but does improve crop health and yield in my area. I took some pictures when I swathed it, it will be a few days before we can combine it but I already know what the results are. And YES it is LATE this year....but seeding date was late too.

Can see the line where green/dark was where the sprayer went

Nice stand but still green stems, seeds are all turned.

Stand is brown and tangled, seeds are darker color, noticeably thinner.

I'll update when we combine.

·
Registered
803 Posts
That is the very same as mine looks in some triangles and small areas where I did not get to with headline. I don't have enough unsprayed for any yield data, so I look forward to your results. I am afraid to leave any amount unsprayed as I have had it go down very flat in the past due to disease.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Hello Nicemustang
Awesome pics! You can sure see the difference, it's not even close!!! :eek: I'm sure glad that I didn't spray fungicide on mine.:) Mine went in late too & dodged a couple of bullets in mid Sept. with a couple of -1° C mornings, but did not kill it. Had -2° C for 9 hrs. Sat.-Sun., but it's far enough along now that it wouldn't of done any harm.:)

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
It all comes down to yeild...

The other thing you have to look at as far as frost goes... If the plant is greener and has more moisture in it, it is less likely to be killed because the water will retain heat better then dry
Don't expect to straight cut it though.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is sorrel, seeded may 28th, typically we like to be around 15-18th. All of our crops were late this year, especially this one. It was sprayed with low rate authority preseed and 2/3 rate centurion/buctril m. It is very clean. Been using authority for last 3 seasons, it works very well. Love that stuff.

As far as headline goes, this is our 3rd season using it. Year 1 results were a 20 bpa increase, although this was on canola stubble which we typically don't do. Last year yield was only 3 bpa better but it stood straight up so it was better to harvest. Other years flax has been late but it was desiccated with reglone and straight cut. Couldn't desiccate this year because it was still a little green with some green seeds, so have to swath it. Calendar says we have to!

·
Registered
659 Posts
How long after you swath to dry down this time of year, I tried my flax and it was testing 7% moisture but the knife plugged a lot!!! straw still green, its been almost a week since -6 frost but still green, maybe need to swath, like you said its getting late, i will put new sickles on today, fd70 the old ones like fine and adjust hold downs!

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Is Headline the only fungicide that guys are using on flax? Anybody get similar or better results from other fungicides?

·
Registered
931 Posts
How long after you swath to dry down this time of year, I tried my flax and it was testing 7% moisture but the knife plugged a lot!!! straw still green, its been almost a week since -6 frost but still green, maybe need to swath, like you said its getting late, i will put new sickles on today, fd70 the old ones like fine and adjust hold downs!
I had to put the high shoulder sections on other wise the flax was getting stuck in the guards between the sections

·
Registered
659 Posts
I had to put the high shoulder sections on other wise the flax was getting stuck in the guards between the sections
yes this is what is happening!!!!:eek: what are the high shoulder section:confused: I tightened belt for knife drive, Adjusted all the hold downs, but i didnt change all the sickles, just any that looked damaged or dull, and went a few passes thought everything was fixed then she plugged again !!!!

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've only tried headline. We ALWAYS change all knives to new ones weather they need it or not. Keep any that are good for next year. It makes a huge difference. Lifters have to come off too.

After swathing, 4-5 good days and it should be ready. Will be doing beans tomorrow then trying flax Friday.

·
Registered
931 Posts
yes this is what is happening!!!!:eek: what are the high shoulder section:confused: I tightened belt for knife drive, Adjusted all the hold downs, but i didnt change all the sickles, just any that looked damaged or dull, and went a few passes thought everything was fixed then she plugged again !!!!
I will look tomorrow morning on the box for the part number. I think South Country in town got them from westward parts. The part of the section that bolts to the knife is thicker before the serrated part starts. Ill try and load pictures of them also compared to a normal section. If you want to text me ill send you a picture of the section and the part number on the box. 746-8047

71 Posts
I have used Proline and this year Headline, we grow Bethune. Looks just like Nicemustangs pics, we are gonna try combining tomorow, its been down for 5 days so we will see what happens. We change guards and teeth every year and just keep the good ones for the other swather. We have no problem cutting even when the stems are green. I hope its doesnt rain sat now like they are saying.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
That and sclerotina.
I have used Proline and this year Headline, we grow Bethune. Looks just like Nicemustangs pics, we are gonna try combining tomorow, its been down for 5 days so we will see what happens. We change guards and teeth every year and just keep the good ones for the other swather. We have no problem cutting even when the stems are green. I hope its doesnt rain sat now like they are saying.
x2

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.