The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
40% flowering. You want to see flowers on all plants.
Don't know where u got this info but I would have to disagree, grown peas for close to fifteen years and been spraying for close to ten. If disease pressure is high ie humidity, wet plants till noon, heavy canopy, tight rotation (peas within last three years on same land), your best timing for fung would be at the sight of the first flowers. This will allow for the fung to get to the bottom of plant and also protect for ten to fourteen days. The first flowers on peas are the ones that make the most peas so best to protect the plant to see them through.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Don't know where u got this info but I would have to disagree, grown peas for close to fifteen years and been spraying for close to ten. If disease pressure is high ie humidity, wet plants till noon, heavy canopy, tight rotation (peas within last three years on same land), your best timing for fung would be at the sight of the first flowers. This will allow for the fung to get to the bottom of plant and also protect for ten to fourteen days. The first flowers on peas are the ones that make the most peas so best to protect the plant to see them through.
X2

·
Registered
449 Posts
Info is on headline label. (Early flower). Been growing peas 10 years spraying fungicide 8 yrs. I have very even emergence and on average my sign of first flower is on about 40% of my plants in the morning remainder of plants will usually have a flower later that same day. Your %of plants to first flower will be entirely based on how even your emergence is. Fungicide will protect up to 14 days. Main goal is to protect the plant during bloom period. If you have uneven emergence and 10% of your plants start to flower and remainder start to flower during the next 7 days, I would spray earlier than later. Fungicides Are all about timing at the right crop stage, that is why independent opener drills have become so popular.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Yield results have been mixed with fungicides. Some varieties will have more disease pressure than others so those would respond more to fungicide application. Usually canopy closure is thick and keeps ground wet. If disease pressure is present i have seen a 5-7 bu increase. Fungicide check strips will bloom longer and stay green longer. Fungicide treated Plants will be greener and healthier than untreated at harvest. You must use preharvest desiccant if treated with fungicide and combine on time. Vines will be slow to dry down. I usually always have enough of an increase to at least get my money back for fungicide. And yes after hail spray fungicide, if early enough.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
The right time for fungicides is different every year. Seen a lot of research trials when searching the net. Some years the optimum time was 6 node, others start of flower and other trials at 50 percent bloom.

Blindly spraying at the start of flowering may give you a response. Closely looking at the disease levels on your plants, thickness of crop canopy, humidity levels, rain forcast, etc will probably get you a payback most years.
I have had poor paybacks when spraying peas at the start of flower in a short open canopy. But I have had decent response to fungicide at flowering if canopy was 3 feet tall at start of flowering.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Any of you think fungicides help with harvest by keep peas standing better?
If so any yield advantage would be just gravy.:)
;) YES!

But I wish there was a variety which wouldn't go pancake flat in that thunderstorm that invariably rolls through between desication and start of harvest...:mad:

·
Registered
449 Posts
The right time for fungicides is different every year. Seen a lot of research trials when searching the net. Some years the optimum time was 6 node, others start of flower and other trials at 50 percent bloom.

Blindly spraying at the start of flowering may give you a response. Closely looking at the disease levels on your plants, thickness of crop canopy, humidity levels, rain forcast, etc will probably get you a payback most years.
I have had poor paybacks when spraying peas at the start of flower in a short open canopy. But I have had decent response to fungicide at flowering if canopy was 3 feet tall at start of flowering.
I agree

·
Registered
349 Posts
Field Green Atmospheric phenomenon Grassland Vegetation

These are my green peas this morning. There is just the odd flower, but they are thick and I am not sure the fungicide will penetrate to the bottom(a good thing!) . I am thinking that I should not wait any longer, what do you guys think? Oh, there is a lot of disease coming! These are greens, Patricks on canola stubble.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sprayed mine when they are flowering, doesn't look white from the road but there are a lot of flowers starting. Seems to be thick and about 2-2.5ft tall. Figured with the forecast if its going to be hot and humid the fungicide would be better now than a few days later. Mostly spraying to keep them standing.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Started spraying mine today lots of the first flowers on the good fields. Have 2 quarters that are very poor just too wet for too long not sure if spraying them will help. Doing the high ground and a few low spots but ground is very soft should of left the big tires on. Peas on canola ground look the best on wheat ground the poorest.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Great looking pea crop Neil Burg; I'd be spraying those peas right away with a canopy that heavy and tall. Humidity like we have had lately will keep things damp and cool underneath which is excellent for disease pressure. Agree with the above post about fungicide timing differing from year to year.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.