The Combine Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have much experience with fungicides but I'd like to try some on my malt barley. What are the better products and I understand staging is different for barley due to the top 2-3 leaves being just as important as the flag on wheat. Also, it's fairly dry here and there are very little signs of disease. Does a guy go ahead and spray anyway, as generally we're in a pretty consistent area and thunderstorms should start bringing some showers.

·
Registered
366 Posts
are you looking to protect against leaf disease or protect the head? we grow our barley for silage and focus on leaf disease, so we see quilt doing a much better job than tilt. We are spraying fungicide right now, flag leaf is just emerging.
Not too sure if it is ideal timing or not, we have only been able to run our own sprayer for 3 yrs now, and was definitely too wet last week, which increases our desire to protect against leaf disease:)

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
I don't have much experience with fungicides but I'd like to try some on my malt barley. What are the better products and I understand staging is different for barley due to the top 2-3 leaves being just as important as the flag on wheat. Also, it's fairly dry here and there are very little signs of disease. Does a guy go ahead and spray anyway, as generally we're in a pretty consistent area and thunderstorms should start bringing some showers.
Quilt at flag. I usually throw in a full rate of tilt with the herbicide, and can afford to even wait until the head is just emerged. Don't know if this is off label, but has worked well for both malt and silage crops.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.