The Combine Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're going to start weed spraying as soon as the rain clears and for the first time are wanting to use fungicide this year. It's about 50 50 on ideas for putting on half rate with weed spray with half on later or putting it all on at flag leaf? Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
If moist humid conditions at night or morning during herbicide timing, I ALWAYS every year put in half rate of tilt with all cereals. I don't usually do flag leaf then unless required but only in barley or oats.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
If moist humid conditions at night or morning during herbicide timing, I ALWAYS every year put in half rate of tilt with all cereals.
X2 on the half rate. I always put in half rate because I typically have a high plant count from seeding heavier. If I hadn't had rain for 3 weeks straight maybe I would hesitate....maybe

I will not grow any cereal crop without a full rate of fungicide at flag and/or heading. I have done numerous trials and have never had a negative response. Higher test weight, plumper kernels, healthier plants....etc. Only downside is a bit of extension on maturity but that can be managed.
Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
X2 on the half rate. I always put in half rate because I typically have a high plant count from seeding heavier. If I hadn't had rain for 3 weeks straight maybe I would hesitate....maybe

I will not grow any cereal crop without a full rate of fungicide at flag and/or heading. I have done numerous trials and have never had a negative response. Higher test weight, plumper kernels, healthier plants....etc. Only downside is a bit of extension on maturity but that can be managed.
Just my 2 cents
agreed 100 percent couldn't have said it better my self
I put in half rate pivot in when spraying for weeds then full rate headline of something else then if its a fuzz type year go in with folicur with twin shooter nozzels

·
Premium Member
3,107 Posts
We stopped doing a half rate of fungicide with our herbicide as we were finding the chemical mixture to be on the hot side and we were burning the leaves.

·
Premium Member
3,107 Posts
Just want to be like the other 99 percent of the community...

·
Registered
880 Posts
stopped doing that, waste of money, crops here are nearly not thick enough like they were in Europe where we did it in our winter wheat only.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Same boat here, we pulled the fungicide out of the herbicide pass last year and mind you it was a low pressure year and next to no sign of early leaf disease. Just fungicide at heading.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Seeded heavier than other years this year following needhams advice and I wish I would of went with full rate of tilt, lots of leaf rust last time I checked and now with the moisture and heat coming it will need folicure forsure prior to heading

Was always told half rate of tilt was throwing good money away, full rate or nothing

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Seeded heavier than other years this year following needhams advice and I wish I would of went with full rate of tilt, lots of leaf rust last time I checked and now with the moisture and heat coming it will need folicure forsure prior to heading

Was always told half rate of tilt was throwing good money away, full rate or nothing
don't use folicur at prior to heading if your going flag go headline or what ever folicur is a head chemical not flag

·
Premium Member
3,107 Posts
3/4 rate of folicur is just as good for leaf diseases as a full rate of tilt is.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Half rate at herbicide does nothing. The flag and second leaf is what produces so spray at flag. If you going to do something do it at the right time. There is no short cut to get out of the sprayer seat. I've tried spray at flag for leaf then 7 to 10 days later for head

1 - 17 of 17 Posts