The Combine Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A question for the experts!
What is the best way to refurbish an older Galvanized steel silo(Bin) that has patches of surface rust.
I am thinking: buff it back with a wire brush wheel, then coat with a Penetrol type product, before some sort of top coat? or buff and paint on a Zinc coating? Any better ideas? Compatibility of coating products could be an issue.

·
Registered
650 Posts
There are a few outfits around that will come to your farm, sandblast your silo and then spraypaint it straightaway. I have never had it done, but I presume that it would be the type of thing that seems an expensive way to do it, but if you put a value on your own time it would not be all that economical to do it yourself.

I would also be interested in other peoples ideas as we have some silos that need to be done soon.

·
Premium Member
4,091 Posts
We had a old wood building painted with latex white paint at least 15 years ago, and for some reason the steel bin next to it got some spray on it and it still looks like it was done yesterday. Who would have thought a water base paint would stick to galvanize so good.

·
Registered
584 Posts
DOn't have any galv silos, but do have a lot of galv roofs. Clean patch very well with a wire brush or sandpaper. Clean whole area with thinners, apply a STOP RUST product on rust spots, repaint the whole roof/silo with a aluminum base paint. Good for another 10 + years.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Lynas, can I suggest ring Paint-n-Colour in Toowoomba and ask about Jotun products. Jotun is an industrial paint manufacture with products to service marine, sewage, oil and gas......you name it. Very reputable paint manufacturer. There is a 2pac epoxy product that can be rolled straight on to your wire buffed silos and will last forever. Dulux and International Paints are 2 other manufactures that compete in this field. Just remember that the fumes are toxic and you are in a confined space - I enjoy reading your posts......and looking at your girlfriend.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lynas, can I suggest ring Paint-n-Colour in Toowoomba and ask about Jotun products. Jotun is an industrial paint manufacture with products to service marine, sewage, oil and gas......you name it. Very reputable paint manufacturer. There is a 2pac epoxy product that can be rolled straight on to your wire buffed silos and will last forever. Dulux and International Paints are 2 other manufactures that compete in this field. Just remember that the fumes are toxic and you are in a confined space - I enjoy reading your posts......and looking at your girlfriend.
Great stuff, Auscocky!
Thx!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.