The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a couple old propane pigs that I will make into trash incinerators. I know it seems easy enough, and it is.
But what do you do or have built to get rid of trash?
Interesting design ideas?

I had the idea of perhaps putting a 12v fan to pump air in to help burn diapers more completely.... thought air could be injected at the bottom in such a way to get a swirl.
Add a 12v battery with a solar panel and a timer. Crank it up set timer for half hour or so walk away, solar would top it off for next burn.

·
Registered
14 Posts
That’s a great idea with a fan The incinerator I built was a 4’x4’ steel box with a roof on it. It originally had a solid steel floor in it with a couple vents near the bottom but it didn’t work very good so I elevated it a foot off the ground and used large screen for a floor. It was the best burner I ever had. If I was diligent about keeping tin cans and other things like that out of there, it would only need cleaning about once a year We had babies around so there were lots of diapers thrown in there I usually let it get fairly full before I lit it and it really howled once it got burning. All that airflow was the secret, I think

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
+1 to the fan, I have the same idea. Bought a pressure vessel at RB for cheap as I need to make a new water tank for my coal stoker. With what is left is going to be the incinerator. Plan is to have crusher screen about a foot off the bottom for naturally aspirated air flow from below and the fan creating a nice tornado above the screen by welding directional air ducts on the inside wall. Also toying with the idea of puling some of the exhaust back through the fan to do a after burn, similar to wood gasification. I know we had a propane fired incinerator at the camp long time ago. POS. If there was too much garbage in there the center never did burn. Might as well used a 45 gal drum.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Do you have enough assets that you need a legal disclaimer? :D :p Take the valve out and fill with water and off to the races.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know the world needs population control..... but I don't wanna be the one responsible!
But sometimes you cant learn stupid........ 😕

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was thinking the diapers wouldn't burn without extra air from a fan but bigswede if they will maybe I dont need to get that crazy.
Will a tall chimney like 4 feet help create a good draft and get the heat going?
I saw a design where there are 4 about 3" by 6" long pipes close to the bottom for air inlet and also hold the screen up. And being pipes keeps the ashes from falling out.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I use my bale boiler here as an incinerator. Garbage that will burn heats my yard somewhat. The round bale that gets put in there generates heat to disintegrate everything to ash. I have burned lots of stuff like chemical boxes which seem abundant every spring to a ridiculous amount when doing custom. The timing isn't perfect as the days are warm then but it still heats 2 water heaters and my moms cloths dryer with a rad next door. Avoiding carbon tax all I can when it hits lol.

·
Premium Member
8,052 Posts
I don't understand the fascination with burning stuff. Wasn't there a pretty major fire in Southern AB a couple years back caused by burning garbage?

Should be a municipal/county dump to visit or my preferred method is this.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
I built a cyclone incinerator a few years ago that worked great until it rusted out. The principle is that you limit the oxygen that can reach down into the barrel so that the material ends up gasifying. Then at the top you inject fresh air into the top part of the barrel in a combustion chamber that causes the smoke and air to swirl. It burns extremely cleanly without any smoking at all once it gets going nicely. I got the idea from this commercial unit: https://www.elastec.com/products/portable-incinerators/smartash/. There are lots of links on making your own: https://www.google.com/search?q=cyclone+incinerator

I hope to build a new one sometime out of some heavier steel. Barrels don't last long with this. The secret is a tight seal on the lid, and I think insulating the barrel to keep the heat in will help it burn cleanly all the way to the bottom with a minimum of ash.

Pictures of mine: http://torriefarmprojects.blogspot.com/2014/01/garbage-incinerator.html. Air came from a vacuum cleaner, but bearings don't last long doing this. A leaf blower is too much air. An old light dimmer seems to slow the leaf blower down enough to work pretty well. I have a big old propane tank that we are hoping to convert some day. Probably load the garbage in the side like most incinerators, but then seal up the door as best we can and blow the air in the top in a similar manner.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't understand the fascination with burning stuff. Wasn't there a pretty major fire in Southern AB a couple years back caused by burning garbage?

Should be a municipal/county dump to visit or my preferred method is this.

I dont have a fascination with burning stuff, infact dad has a case 210 (looks just like yours) he has a pit, but when its -35, wind blowing drifts across the trail to the hole, getting your truck stuck, cant get the effen lighter to work cuz it's so cold, if you dont burn it at the pit the coyotes drag dirty diapers everywhere..... the pit idea sucks.
And the local dump is just as much of a pain in the ass to deal with.
Then you need to have the intelligence NOT to burn your garbage in an open pit on a windy day (even in a contained home built incinerator, burn on a calm day, it's common sense)
Besides who ever fascinated about burning garbage??

·
Registered
14 Posts
Anvil. My chimney was 1’ square and about 2’ high. I don’t really understand all the requirements for good draft in a chimney so I can’t take credit for how good it worked. Sometimes things just turn out and this one really did. A friend copied mine but used a 5” pipe for a chimney and cut holes in the side near the bottom but it really didn’t work well, at all. Good air flow is the key there, I think. The other thing that wasn’t really part of my design was the fact that, with a big coarse screen like that for a floor, a lot of ash would fall out after it was burnt and just blow away. My burner was heavy but when my loader tractor was nearby I would pick it up with the forks and shake it a bit. Other than unburnable items, you could keep it pretty empty. If there was a bit of wet stuff that didn’t burn, you might get it on the next round One thing that I should’ve mentioned is that my burner sat on bare gravel with no grass or anything close and I was still careful to not burn on dry, windy days With that screen on the bottom there is risk of something dropping out and blowing where you don’t want it Hope yours works good for you!

·
Premium Member
8,052 Posts
I dont have a fascination with burning stuff, infact dad has a case 210 (looks just like yours) he has a pit, but when its -35, wind blowing drifts across the trail to the hole, getting your truck stuck, cant get the effen lighter to work cuz it's so cold, if you dont burn it at the pit the coyotes drag dirty diapers everywhere..... the pit idea sucks.
And the local dump is just as much of a pain in the ass to deal with.
Then you need to have the intelligence NOT to burn your garbage in an open pit on a windy day (even in a contained home built incinerator, burn on a calm day, it's common sense)
Besides who ever fascinated about burning garbage??
We just have a building or dumpster to store the garbage in when it's like this and the hole is full of snow. If you dig your hole right the coyotes don't climb out! The fascination with burning stuff is more of a pet peeve about some guys who can't keep the matches hidden when it's dry or windy and neighbors have standing crop out. A burn barrel is okay if you are dead certain that it is contained and done when conditions are safe. The idea torriem posted looks pretty interesting because it would get things over with quickly in ideal conditions.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yea, there are people who just like to burn things.... my grandparents called them fire bugs.... and they were in fact fire bugs themselves..
I moved on to my grandparents farm, I remember one day me and my wife went to our new old home, just starting to move in and get settled and we get there and there is no body around, and we see a smoldering pile of tree trimmings in the middle of the driveway...... they also liked to burn dead grass in the ditches in the spring.

·
Premium Member
2,014 Posts
I a 500 gallon fuel tank that was purchased at an auction for a few dollars. Set on the side and cut a door, and smoke stack. I used to have a raised floor to help it breath and burn better. Found that didn't help and removed it. I am done with diapers now. When used to have plenty and it took some diesel or used oil to burn them. A blower may help enough to do the trick. I dump my burner maybe a couple times per year. After almost 10 years of use, I better start bidding at auctions for another tank. Propane tank would work better.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts