The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see this Gatco cross flow aeration is advertising on Kijiji. Google came up with a few threads from a couple of years ago. Talks about pushing air up the outside of the bin and it moves horizontal to the exhaust tube in the center of the bin. Supposed to air dry grain much quicker and much more even than standard aeration systems with less fan hp.

Current claims are that with a larger fan than you would put on for normal air drying and adding supplemental heat the system drys grain very quick and even compared to the rocket style systems and the higher air flow has less condensation problems. Something like 2 days faster and you don't have to turn the grain during the drying process.

I had looked at the system a few years ago and didnt like the thought of all that crap hung outside of my bin, but perhaps this is a system that has merit for guys who don't really need a grain dryer very often, but could benefit from fast, cheap air drying every year.

Anyone have any experience with this system? Sounds too good to be true.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gatco claims the exterior ducting is the same as the round galvanized ducting that you see at every grain terminal and it is standing up well. Unfortunately it will take years to prove or disprove that claim. Cost is high, like $4-6000 per bin. The claim is that a 3 hp fan on a 5000 bushel bin will dry faster and more even than a 7 hp fan on a different air system.

My thinking was that even if its $2000 a bin more, and I can air dry or dry with supplemental heat in 3-4 days, the bins could be used more often. Could set up a few bins for much less cost than a grain dryer and infrastructure. Sales talk is that this system works best if the bin is almost full, unlike most systems that like the bin to be 1/2 full.

Sounds too good to be true, hence why I am looking for farmers that have actually used it.

CrossFlow Aeration ? Gatco Manufacturing Inc.

·
Registered
431 Posts
The idea sound very attractive,especially as so many used grain dryers are finding it tough to get certified safe for use
It may have already been discussed but wat would people opinion be about using a large de humidifier to dry cool air before blowing through a bin. Would think that would be a lot cheaper to run than adding heat,also reducing the condensation on the sides and top of a bin.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Wonder if this would help reduce the amount of corn we get stuck to the walls of our cooling bins. We dump the dryer around 17% moisture at about 130 degrees F. When it cools to about 60 degrees F it's usually down to 13.5 to 14% moisture, but the consequence is a lot of moisture is blown out as the grain cools. This results in a hopper and bin walls that are caked with corn by the end of a season where the bins have been filled and emptied a bunch of times.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I installed it on two bins. Worked great to coll my peas. Took them from 30 to 13 in a couple of days. I have been using the air tubes for years. All my bins are cemented, so it would be a challenge to put on hopper bottoms. I looked at an hopper bottom bin with air, but the price for a 6000 bin was 29000. With fans and the entire system installed was only 14000. The fans were 6000. Have not done any other harvesting yet, but have looked at a way to add heat to the system. May not need it if the snow does not melt.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Just to update this thread.
Friend installed this Gatco system in a couple Westeel 1805s.
He has bin heaters and temp cables on them also.
He says this system moves more air than rockets in his other 1805 bins and with the supplemental heat according to the temp readings he is getting from the cables the heat is way more even than the bins with rockets.
As far as speed of drying he isn't sure just yet.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just to update this thread.
Friend installed this Gatco system in a couple Westeel 1805s.
He has bin heaters and temp cables on them also.
He says this system moves more air than rockets in his other 1805 bins and with the supplemental heat according to the temp readings he is getting from the cables the heat is way more even than the bins with rockets.
As far as speed of drying he isn't sure just yet.
Thanks for the update. Nice to hear from actual experience.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I installed it on two bins. Worked great to coll my peas. Took them from 30 to 13 in a couple of days. I have been using the air tubes for years. All my bins are cemented, so it would be a challenge to put on hopper bottoms. I looked at an hopper bottom bin with air, but the price for a 6000 bin was 29000. With fans and the entire system installed was only 14000. The fans were 6000. Have not done any other harvesting yet, but have looked at a way to add heat to the system. May not need it if the snow does not melt.
Any update on how the Gatco cross flow aeration worked? I bought a couple 10000 bushel hopper bins and am wondering if the gatco cross flow aeration is any better than a Rocket. Price is like 2x to get the gatco.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Know a guy that installed 3 of these last fall, with a heater he had dried 18 wheat down to 14 in 3 days with no grain movement. He’s liking the system. I know another guy that has them installed from years ago and doesn’t use them. They aren’t a clean system and you have to be careful with the auger spout but sounds like they work.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Will be getting one of these systems installed in a flat bottom westeel 5300 yellowtop on concrete that has 5hp fan. I have other aeration/heat/ bin configurations so will be interesting how this compares. It as pricey/pricier than air floors so hope it worth it - will be close to $6000 installed and that using existing fan. The old half moon perforations that used previously in this bin were getting tired/painful to takeout/put back in and almost looking like a year when will need all/any storage and probably tough grain too. Should not have been as lazy/cheap/busy with other Summer things and got dryer setup, but maybe aeration will be good enough again...

Have looked through all threads that have found on this and not found exactly this comparison. Would be interested if anybody on here has experience with same and what to expect? I believe it 4, 8' ducting on a 19' diameter and 23' eave.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased 2, 25000bu Brock bins, 4 years ago, had the crossflow system installed at the same time by Valley Agro in Morris, MB. only used a 7.5HP fan and an Edwards 100k BTU propane burner on each bin. I have put wheat in it at an average of 18%M, 2 times so far. It dries the average down by about 1.25%M/week. So 3 weeks with the fan and burner going, mine averaged dry when unloaded into the elevator.
Only problem I have found is that the columns that are bolted to the bin walls have a flat surface that bolts onto the curved tin walls. The exterior stiffeners of my Brock bins are all straight when initially filled up. but after about 10 days of the fan running, I noticed the stiffeners on the outside of the bin, that was beside each column, was being moved toward the center of the bin. The columns are about 2/3 the way up to the top of the bin, then stop.

So now I have warped bins, the stiffeners/walls that are right beside the columns are moved inward by about 2-3". Then the stiffeners/wall goes back to normal(straight), above the where the columns end, on top.
My theory is that the wheat right in front of each column dries 1st, shrinks, then less pressure from the wheat is applied there, compared to the stiffeners/wall that had no air columns, grain pressure has not changed since filled up.

It has happened 4 years ago with wheat, I called the Gatco owners, they said there is nothing they can do about it.
I was told by the owner, Gary, yes it will work great. But didn't not warn me about the bin walls being moved in, flexing of walls and stiffeners.

The 2nd and 3rd year I put drier what and canola in, I didn't have to run the fan long, so no shrinking happened, the bin walls/stiffeners stayed straight.
This past fall, I filled up at 18%M, walls are warped again. But they do go back to normal shape, when I refill the bin, even pressure on the walls I guess is the reason.

I am building another 25000 Brock bin next year, going with the standard full floor air. Scared my walls are going to blow apart.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Can't think constantly flexing the bin walls will be great for them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts