The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand that there was some issues with the gearboxes going out on the S77, hence the bigger/heavier duty gearbox on the 8 series. My question is: 1: was this a wide spread problem or just isolated to early model S77 or tougher crops. 2: is there a way to remedy this problem other than trading for a 8 series ?
Thank you !

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
I think the low oil will take it out more then anything.

You really never have that much power in it. Its like a 1000 HP motor tearing up transmissions.. If you don't hook up the power, you won't hurt anything.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Part # 71470835, around $320 dollars, requires the overhead EIP panel to have software version 3.7. This will work all the way back to R65 combines. Local dealer can update your software to this version if needed. This sensor will tee into the concave adjustment harness, that is why it will only check the oil when the combine is started.

·
Registered
777 Posts
that is why it will only check the oil when the combine is started.
That's what I was told too but it's not the case (also verified to me by Phil Ryan). The light can alarm you anytime the key is on. I set mine off a few times stopping quick on the backside of a terrace. Once it is set off, you have to shut everything down and restart the combine. If the oil is actually low, of course you will need to add some or better yet, get the leak fixed.

The failure of the gear boxes in early S series was due to sealing problems thus low oil levels. My 2011 S77 was originally purchased by a custom harvester and the gear box didn't make it out of Texas that year. I'm still running the replacement with 850 separator hours and no problems. I'm feeding the combine with a 12 row corn head and a 40' DynaFlex, needless to say, I'm loading it pretty good.

·
Registered
18 Posts
ACM is correct. The kit (71470835) requires EIP software version 3.7 in order to work correctly. This software version was not the one in use when the kit was first released. (Not to contradict Mr. Ryan, but the bulletin calling for the 3.7 software was released after Mr. Ryan retired.)

·
Registered
777 Posts
ACM is correct. The kit (71470835) requires EIP software version 3.7 in order to work correctly. This software version was not the one in use when the kit was first released. (Not to contradict Mr. Ryan, but the bulletin calling for the 3.7 software was released after Mr. Ryan retired.)
Without have the current software to test, I'm going to stick my neck out a bit.

The new software was suppose to resolve the rotor light from coming on orange without an actual alarm. The alarm system for the oil level did work correctly with the exception of the rotor turning on at the wrong time.

On my S77, the rotor light was on orange most of the time. To verify it was working correctly, we removed the sensor from the gear box and the alarm would sound. On three occasions last fall, I did have the alarm sound in the field, but it was because I had caused the oil to slosh forward enough to set if off. So my system was sensing all the time, not just at startup.

If the new software has changed that, it would sure save having to restart in the middle of the field because I sloshed the oil away from the sensor.

·
Registered
345 Posts
This is something that should be Agco's expense, not the customer. Also why aren't they putting it on the new machines before they leave the factory?
Good question. When I bought my S-78 in the pre-production sale I was told that it would have the monitor system from the factory. Another issue of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing. I still expect an update but I may be SOL.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I posed this question to my dealer when the 8's were first introduced. Although its not impossible, it would require a large amount of fabrication to make it work.
Bolt pattern is different along with the size and shape of the gear box. One would have to alter the side of the machine to make it fit. Good luck getting it centered correctly. Major rework.

·
Registered
549 Posts
The only way to get it centered might would be to get the factory to make a timplate that bolts onto the existing holes. Then you can cut the center large hole out and drill the bolt holes and be centered really close I would think. If thats all there is to it then that wouldn't be that hard. The new box is a huge advantage over the 30 year old one. My only concern is not having a low level gage in the cab if a leak should develope. Just getting to the check plug is a pain in the ----.

·
Registered
777 Posts
The only way to get it centered might would be to get the factory to make a tim- plate that bolts onto the existing holes. Then you can cut the center large hole out and drill the bolt holes and be centered really close I would think. If thats all there is to it then that wouldn't be that hard. The new box is a huge advantage over the 30 year old one.
I don't think it would be as easy as you make it sound. Besides what good is the newer gear box if you are driving it with the old belt and sheaves? You can only transfer so much torque through the drives. By the time you upgrade the gear box and drives, it's going to be $$,$$$.$$ and with the soft resale market right now, I don't see the ROI. I guess I don't see it a 'huge' advantage in older machines. Seems to be it's been a very reliable gear box for quite some time. Almost all failures you hear of are from lack of oil which point to the operator's fault not the gear box.

My only concern is not having a low level gage in the cab if a leak should develope. Just getting to the check plug is a pain in the ----.
It's my understanding that the kit can be installed on any R with the EIP. (not sure what year they go back to)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Good discussion in relation to the importance of having some sort of low oil level sensor for the rotor gearbox. For one, I cant believe that this is not standard on all S8's being produced right now. Whether it be an S7 or S8 machine checking the level and servicing this area is not easy. I think Bruce at Kalvesta Implement had some kind of visual sight gauge on the rh side he had come up with.

As expensive as these machines are, and not to mention the 90 hp rotor gearbox found on S7's and earlier models. For the replacement price tag of $6800 for the old gearbox. I have to agree with gleaner R-76 . If I would shell out my gearbox on my current S77. I definitely would want to upgrade it to the 190 hp. rotor gearbox found on the S8's as this is a lot of work either way you look at it in replacing it. Surely the factory engineers could come up with a retro-fit kit(template w/hardware/instructions) to adapt this heavy duty gearbox to the S7's and R'5s. With the lower prices of grain it is hard enough to pay for repairs etc., so I do not see upgrading to the new S8 machine anytime soon.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.