The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have been using the same Petro Canada grease on our farm for a long time. I have no complaints with it, just curious if others have paid more attention to the evolution of general purpose greases and what guys are using.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I talked to an old mechanic, and owner of a tractor shop. He swears by the Case IH grease, he uses it on everything, it's kind of a brown colour, maybe someone else knows the actual name of it. But he swore but. He told me a story of a truck he had with something like 600,000kms on it and greased the front end with only that grease, and he never had to change any tie rod ends.

·
Registered
518 Posts
i use peavey mart general purpose grease, on most bearings .. high speed and/or high load get high moly grease, two guns ..better one for the better grease, lol

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Mobil Epic EP 102 semi synthetic lithium base extreme pressure all weather grease. No grease is best in all applications but I chose this grease years ago for how I could still pump it within reason when it gets colder in the fall. I do also use the same grease in the moly version for certain applications but some applications are not designed for use with moly.

·
Registered
341 Posts
John Deere SD polyurea here too. We do also keep the odd tube of "corn head" grease around, some gearboxes, etc call for it specifically (thickens up when resting, liquified when in use)

·
Premium Member
5,393 Posts
What type of Petro Canada grease are you using? We use their grease all the time. I think it is EP3 lithium grease both plain and with moly. We use the plain lithium grease for high speed bearings like on a combine and the lithium with moly for all u joints, bushings, ball joints and other high wear areas. We have had good luck with this grease and go through several cases a year. The JD polyurea is good for high temperature aplications like electric motor bearings.

·
Registered
859 Posts
JD SD Polyurea for most things. JD Special-Purpose Calcium Sulfonate Grease with 5% Moly for pins on loader and truck hoists. JD Synthetic grease for slack adjusters and fan drives.

Also Mobil Polyrex EM for electric motors.

If I had to pick only one to cover them all (except EM) it would be JD SD Polyurea. Apparently the EP additives in most greases aren't good for electric motors as they can cause corrosion especially if they are over greased and leak into the windings.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Shell Gadus grease here, low temp in winter and high temp in summer. Tried a few miracle greases over the years and have never found them to be any better.

My experience is less grease more often on non sealed components offers better lubrication and longer service life than miracle lubes.

·
Registered
48 Posts
All the high speed bearings and shafts get Petro Can Precision Synthetic. Excavator and loader pins get Petro Can Precision Moly. Extreme pressure pins need the black moly grease. Period. Moly doesn't belong in a high speed bearing though. That synthetic grease is the only thing that should be used in auto grease systems as it meets the viscosity requirements. Fifth wheel plates get some old blue tacky stuff from a pail I picked up at an auction for a couple bucks applied with a tiling trowel. Those little v's in the trowel leave the perfect amount on the plate.

I still have a case of that cheap 12 tubes for $20 Peavy Mart crap. I use that to tension tracks. Not sure if it's even good for that.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Most of the large farms here are using products from a company called certified. Grease, oil, fuel additive, etc. I started using the grease. Its more sticky but does pump fine. Havnt really tested it. Pricey stuff.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
You know what... as long as it IS greased it will probably be fine... grease is grease. I can see using a synthetic on a PTO in -40° weather. But generally a part will fail if its NOT greased.
I'd like to see a comparison on a truck front end for example... cheap peavey mart on one side and "the good stuff" on the other.... I doubt there would be much difference when greased regularly.

·
Premium Member
5,393 Posts
Anvil where you will see the difference between grease on a front end of a truck is wether it has moly in it or not. As stated above moly is no good for high speed bearings but is one of the best grease additive for friction parts and u joints. For a front end I would take a lithium moly type grease any day over a expensive JD Polyurea. The majority of things we grease on our farm is friction type parts like the 30 or so fitting on Case 4420 sprayer.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Yea, I'm not saying the moly isnt the Katz azz for front ends and bushings.... a truck front end is just something that tends to get neglected... I was just saying that as long as theres grease in there your ahead of the game. Moly would allow longer grease intervals I would imagine too.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
We use moly grease for absolute everything. It doesn't matter to us whether it is high speed bearings or not. I regrease alternator with it as well. I am not sure why it is given the bad rap. Even air drill fan gets moly! We only keep one grease!

We do grease regularly. Maybe the reduced friction of moly might cause problems when bearings are brand new? I think once a bearing has "rolled" a few times, there is enough wear particles in it that it really doesn't make a difference. We grease rotor bearings with it as well. If I had seen a failure from it - I would stop using. Alas, I have never seen that!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts