The Combine Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 50kw katolight generator that needs some repair. I was wondering who/where in Southern Manitoba repairs generators. Thanks

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Don't know of any small local shops around Manitoba. If you can find a shop that can rewind a 50 hp motor then they should be competent to do that generator. There are some small shops on the prairies that basically are there to test a small motor and change bearings, anything else and they send it out or order a new one.

If you go to Winnipeg there is North Point which is the former Westinghouse > Siemens shop so they can do whatever you need. We used to loose PC's Rocanville work to King's Electric in Manitoba but I don't see them listed anymore. They may have become IPS, which by looking at their website, is a well equipped shop also.

You may find a small shop that can do what you need. There is one in Winkler listed. So either go to Winnipeg or ask a small shop what they are really capable of. As I mention, if they can rewind a 50 hp 600v motor in their shop I would say they know what they are doing. There are small shops around that do full repair/rewind of 600v and less and does not mean they are not competent, just means they don't want to make the investment to step up to the next level.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Generator had a small fire where the PTO connects to the generator. We bought a new generator cause we cant go without for our dairy barn. Maybe our old 1 is screwed, maybe not. I was hoping to find a shop that can rip it apart & tell me if its toast or fixable.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Metal generally doesn't catch fire so most likely the winding shorted, got hot, and the paper insulation and varnish on the winding is what was on fire. Which would mean a full rewind. If there is some means to look at the area and confirm this then you have a good starting point. For motors it was generally around the 50hp and under mark you would throw it away. It could be rewound and you save a few bucks vs new but there is generally some efficiency to be gained by buying new so in the long run it made sense for an end user to get a new unit. A generator is a different story with more pieces to it so may make economical sense to rewind.
For what you are asking, any shop that can change bearings can take it apart and let you know if it needs major work or not. So that shop in Winkler, or any other one you get wind of, would be worth a call.

·
Registered
8 Posts
There’s a guy by the name of Andy schellenburg in pine river mb. that fixes generators. Apparently does good work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts