The Combine Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's the deal. This combination having trouble getting canola to rotor in many conditions. Thinking it was in feeder we did some modifing that only made sense and yes we made some great strides forward that will only make feeder more forgiving no matter the crop or header. Ends up the feeder again was not the major problem. Just like we fight with jobber heads feeding the feeder wrong the 4200 built by MacDon was also doing so. We first narrowed opening to prevent material from getting behind feeder slats witch is good. We then added flighing to bring material in well beyond sides of feeder witch is very good. Next we Noticed the auger drum would bang up and down. This would slug the auger and or the feed chain. This could be heard threwout the machine all day. While watching movement of rear feed drum with camara we could see drum run on the bottom most of the time other than when slug come from swath or header auger creating the slug. Long and short of it is get the extra flighting on auger and raise the auger as far as you can. Better yet would be get some good shocks fasten to the drum to stabilize the movement. It was always great to add the flighting to the old Gleaner heads as it was good idea to raise the ridged auger up for Canola.Adding shocks will have same affect as adding the shocks to tension drums and that was a huge step in right direction for the feeders.
Also noticed auger appeared to be turning to fast. Knowing this head sold to other manufactures That have slower drive shaft to drive header I got to thinking weather they had a sprocker fastened to Gleaner application to slow it back down. I don't know the count of teeth on the other brands but see in AGCO parts there is a 13 tooth available to slow it down. Did not get chance to try one prior to Canola harvest done but I sure will sometime

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You might have that other head that was built in Canada. We only had a couple of these and don't know where the ended up. I believe they had auger drive off to the right of header. Same thing may apply to this head. Beauty of flighting extend into finger area is you can now back out a slug much much more easily. You will want flighting supported very well with gussets due to extreme pressure if feeder plugs. Oh how I would like to cut down a 700, 7000, or 7200 and install a pickup. Either that or install two pickups on a 30'er. I have seen two flax windrows picked up with ridged head by just sliding sickle under a pair of windrow. Worked very well and drove just as fast as picking only one windrow.

·
Premium Member
4,091 Posts
I couldn't find a model number on head and it is a right hand drive and has a smaller fixed auger. The flighting ends about 2 inches into feeder opening. I will extend flighting for next year and see if it helps, head gets limited use so a 4200 is not in the budget.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The P/N's for the 4200 head are 71400757 and 71411137. The P/N's I used were 71375105G and 71375104G. The ones I used are the same ones that are used on the Gleaner built straight and flex heads. I didn't remember to look up flight for the head with drive out the right side but bet the flighting I used will work for that head as well. Hopefully you can raise the auger up on the head you have. Don't know what shock could be used on the 4200 but think I would go to auto store and find truck shocks with eyelit on both ends for a guy could fasten them quite easy the way it looks

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Has gleaner ever looked into opening up the feeder house and added a feeder house chain to the bottom of the feeder house...
You could then open the front of the feederhouse and use the angle of the chain to compress the crop to the second chain?
Would improve canola feeding with other volume large crops. I would have it as optional and also removable... The chain would have to run the same speed as the top chain...

·
Ken Adams
1,355 Posts
I, also, would like to thank nddan for info!

It got me looking at my 4200 (2013) and yes the auger does bang up and down bad at times.
Flighting does extend past end of feeder chain - 4" on either side. Right side is welded to auger and is good. But left side is bolted and gusset is tweaked a little bit.
Auger is set so it only clears bottom by about 1/4"

Wish I had more canola to do now, but for next year - will raise auger so there is 3/4" clearance to start, slow auger down with either 14 T macdon or 13 T Agco sprocket and install shocks as nddan sugested, maybe even coil over shock if I can find a lite set. I would rather plug table auger than feeder chain if I can't control slug coming in!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.