The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why will Gleaner not try to rebuild its dealer network. Here in Oklahoma we have only one dealer who I think has 2 stores that handle Gleaner. Gleaner and Massey once ruled the custom harvest run from the 50's thur the early 80's. Oklahoma once had dealers all over the state. People won't buy Gleaner unless you have parts and service to back it up. You think they would spend some money and make a push to setup dealers and regain the market share that they once had.

·
Registered
345 Posts
It is strange that they left Oklahoma so empty after Vater retired in Enid. Vater was one of Gleaner's larger dealers back in the 60's. In the 80's there was a Gleaner Dealer in Wellington, Harper, Caldwell, Kansas. Medford, Enid, Blackwell, Oklahoma that I can recall off the top of my head. Now the only dealer to serve that entire area is Winfield Kansas. I think Anthony Kansas or Enid Oklahoma would be prime areas for a Gleaner dealership. Speaking of Massey, do you remember the large Massey dealership in Kiowa Kansas? That whole town was covered with Massey combines back in the 60's.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I definitely feel your pain, the only one that is around is Schmidts, and they are either in Mount Hope or Winfield, Ks. I can't believe that they have not built one in Wichita, Enid, Anthony, Kiowa, or Medicine Lodge. If you have Gleaner, older Allis Chalmers, Massey or anything Agco period, you are completely dependent on them. They have always treated us well, and they rarely don't have what you need, but it's always a 45 minute or an hour drive one way to get parts or to look at equipment that we may wish to purchase. Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Livingston Machinery has three locations in Oklahoma. Fairview, Chickasha, and Altus, all carry Gleaner to some degree. The Fairview store only picked up Gleaner after Vaters closed so they are trying to learn everything. Schmidts stocks almost everything even for my N6.
GB there was even a small dealer in Helena, OK that was called Dettle's they had most everything for the A's through the L's, not much on the N's. Most of their parts recently went to Schmidt's.
Would love for Schmidt's to expand into Oklahoma, heard they had a chance to take over Vater's in Enid but passed on it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Do you guys remember a dealership near Okeene, OK that sold Gleaner and A/C equipment. I think they closed in the mid 80's.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think the Massey dealer at Kiowa,Ks may have been the biggest in the counrty at one time. I think maybe the name was Humphery's and the dealer at Okeene may have been Goforth's . Henry Fords idea back in the early days was to put a Ford in every garage and there was a dealer in about every town. If Agco wants to sell combines they are going to have to setup more dealers than one dealer with a few stores.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Agco needs dealers if they plan on being in the game. With the competition wanting dealers spread out and leaving towns without a dealer and in some places poor parts and hardware outlets. Agco could have some success with dealers there, if the dealers provide the customer service that we expect with great people at the parts counter and pulling wrenches.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Around here the only dealers that are or have folded are the ones that wouldn't attempt to sell machines against their red/green competition. Klein's in McCook, Ne is a really good example.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Here in Ms. we had abought 10 dealers in the 70's, now only one, and they might not be around very much longer. Already dropped the massy line, holding on to gleaner for the time being.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Didn't Sharon ks have a small gleaner dealer? I see the sign a block north of the elevator when cutting there. I've often wondered why AGCO couldn't partner with someone like Napa to distribute parts. They are simple enough you can get by without a mechanic in your back yard but parts are rather important.

·
Registered
345 Posts
The dealership in Sharon, Kansas closed 15 years ago or more. I would guess that the current dealers would raise holy he11 if Gleaner would sell parts through stores like NAPA.

My county is Sumner County Kansas, known as the "Wheat Capitol Of The World" yet there is not a dealer of ANY color in the entire county. We have Schmidt's in Winfield, about 60 miles east and Schmidt's in Mt. Hope also about 60 miles north. But guys at Medford Oklahoma are over 100 miles from a dealer, I think. The southern Wheat Belt is pretty thin when it comes to Gleaner dealers.

Gleaner now has a top line combine. For the line to grow in popularity they are going to have to address this dealer network issue.

·
Registered
145 Posts
The dealer south of Okeene was Meier Implement and Johnson's had an Allis dealer on the south side of Kingfisher. There was also a dealer at Billings, I think called Heinrich bros. Dettle at Helena used to carry a lot of parts. At one time there were at least 5 dealers within 50 miles of me. Now the closest is Livingston's at Fairview and basically all they do is order parts. There is a decent one at Alva. I usually just call Schmidt and Sons and they send them UPS and I get them next day. They almost always have anything I need in stock.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The dealer south of Okeene was Meier Implement and Johnson's had an Allis dealer on the south side of Kingfisher.
My family owned Meier Implement.... I was curious if anyone could still remember. We still have a mix match of old Gleaner parts.

·
Registered
382 Posts
There is still a dealer in Cordell, King-Lindsey. They still have several older L2's, M3's etc they keep on hand for salvage parts. I know they used to sell 5-10 combines a year to the Gossen harvesting crew, but that operation has slimmed down in the past few years. Up until 5 years ago, there were still lots of gleaners of all ages running around Washita county, which were mostly fed by the dealer in Cordell

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I talked to a local custom harvester that runs green, and he said he ran Gleaner back in the day, and would again, but driving past 7 JD dealers to get Gleaner parts puts a damper on that idea.

I swear a large percentage of the custom harvesting market would run back to Gleaner if they had a better dealer network on the harvest trail, as hauling a 30,000 lb combine is alot easier than hauling a 50,000 lb one.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Okiegleaner, what ever happened to Dick Dettle? I used to cut wheat in Big Springs and seems we would always meet up.He was running two L2's back then.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I swear a large percentage of the custom harvesting market would run back to Gleaner if they had a better dealer network on the harvest trail, as hauling a 30,000 lb combine is alot easier than hauling a 50,000 lb one.
Are you listening AGCO?????

·
Registered
619 Posts
A large operator (neighbor) that farms 15K + acres asked me what I run for combine, I told him Gleaner and didn't know what kind of response I would get, he told me that is the best combine made and he would be running them if there were dealer support. He said the Deeres would never make it past 3K separator hours without major issues, therefore he rolls every 2 years but must have local support. His operation just purchased 4 - S670's along with 5 JD 4wd tractors. Apparently, the wizards of smart in Duluth don't want his business!

·
Registered
536 Posts
I don't no how they could add enough dealers to compete with deere, that would be very expensive I would think. But if they just put in at least dealers in once Gleaner country then they might do well. My area was once covered with M's and L's back in the 70's and 80's. A few farmers tryed the N,s and that made them switch colors pretty quike, when I tell them Gleaner is totally different from then, they just shake their head in disbelief. We had some 10-15 dealers back then, now only one. Case and deere have such a strong hold now I just don't no if Gleaner could come back that strong again in my area. Maybe with some demo's, I just don't no.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts