The Combine Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I purchase a Gleaner F combine SN23493. It comes with a grain head but I am looking for a corn head for this machine. We will be using it on a County Agriculture Farm as a joint school project as well as on my own farm. Go figure an Ag teacher buy a personal piece of property so his students get the chance to use it. My question is what heads will fit on it? I know where a 440 orange head is but I am told that will be a little much for it and I will have to go really slow. The same person also has a 2 row 40 inch for an E but I don't know if it will fit. I found a 4 row 40" for 800 as well.

1. What Gleaner heads in 40" will fit the F
2. Will it handle a 4 row or do I need to use a 2 or 3 row
3. What John Deere heads will work, I understand I will have to have a Bish converter to make John Deere work
4. Any other alternatives or help would be greatly appreciated.
5. What price range would be good for this equipment.

Thanks
Alabama Ag Teacher

·
Registered
407 Posts
A proper cornhead for that age machine would be an orange colored FG-438, which is four- 38" rows. A model "F" was made for that size of head, along with a 4 row 30 inch and 3 row- 30 inch. The 3-30" requires special drive tires and wheels to narrow down the tread. Back when that machine was new, 100 BPA corn was pretty good corn. It will still handle todays higher yields, just at a slower ground speed. It will still only harvest about 400 to 500 bushels of corn per hr, regardless of head size/width. Don't be afraid of a 4 row head....just slow down.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
we have a FG630 cornhead that we arent afraid to stick on a F2 of ours for some dryland corn. :)

I would not fear any 4 row.

DOes it have to be wide row, or can it be narrow row?

Where are you located? We might have a header available, but I am not for certain.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We are in Central Alabama. With our soil around here we pretty much have to be on wide rows, limited topsoil thickness and rainfall typically will not support close rows as well. I really appreciate the information yall have given me. If yall have a head please let me know and hopefully your close enough we could work something out. This is a project that the 4 ag department associated with it are really excited about along with our students.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
We are in Central Alabama. With our soil around here we pretty much have to be on wide rows, limited topsoil thickness and rainfall typically will not support close rows as well. I really appreciate the information yall have given me. If yall have a head please let me know and hopefully your close enough we could work something out. This is a project that the 4 ag department associated with it are really excited about along with our students.
What kind of soils and rainfall do you folks have?

We are less than 20 inches of precip in a given year, and we run 30 inch, as it canopies earlier to shade the ground to reduce evaporation. We have even talked about 20 inch rows, but figured the equipment costs wouldnt be worth it.

Tbran should chime in shortly, but IIRC he is B&G Equipment, Paris, TN. Never met the guy, but he is of Gleaner legend, and many folks have had great dealings with him, and many of us, myself included, have benefitted greatly from his knowledge.

Good luck! Keep this thread updated if you need anything, allways nice to see a school make a smart, educated choice on combine selection. ;) How big of a program is it, and what all besides corn do you harvest?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We have 26 acres total for the school, half will be in a corn soybean rotation. I farm on the side as well so in total about 50-60 acres of corn per year is what the machine will be working on. Our program for the school will incompass 4 school totaling about 400 kids, 100 per program. During the summer we are hoping to have 10-20 from each school that will work part-time to pay for a part of their National FFA convention trip. We have been awarded several grants to get started. Our local NRCS help us get 4000 to purchase a rain-flo plastic layer and water wheel trans planter which we will use planting squash, tomatoes, and cantaloupe and whatever else we can. My department and another received 2500 from the FFA Food for All grant that will be used in part to get yearly materials such as seed, plastic, fertilizer, etc. I will post some pictures and a link later to our FB page if yall are interested or you could look up Isabella FFA to catch updates. I am so appreciative of all the support and well wishes I have received on here. I will be getting with tbran and contacting him soon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello again i have had to swap usernames but im back. I have the option to buy another F that has the diesel engine but the transmission is stuck. The Gas burner i bought has a good transmission but bad tin. Can the two transmissions interchangeable? Both are geard machines w/o hydro drive. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Both machines also have the one stick 3 forward 1 reverse transmission.

·
Registered
316 Posts
If they are both straight F's I'd guess "good chance".F2's maybe not but don't know that.Some one who knows will surely chime in after the new year stuff is over. Could take the serial #'s to agcopartsbooks.com and check for compatibility.They always list ser# breaks on changes.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I commented on your other thread.

It would be nice for sure to have a diesel and part the gas.

So everything about the diesel is in nicer shape except for the transmission issue?

If so, sounds like a great deal!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.