The Combine Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Purchasing a new to me combine - '78 F2 with 15' grain head and 438 black wide row corn head. A couple owners ago widened out the rims for 28L-26 tires. They appear to be tucked in about as narrow as you can go so I'm assuming without measuring another to compare the backspacing is stock distance.

My question is will this fit down the rows with a 4-30" head? Located a nice black 430 since I run narrow rows.

Any answers much appreciated in advance. I may have another F located for narrower drive tires if needed but I'd like to keep the big floaters if possible for my wet hills.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Simply measure across the tires outer edge to edge. You have 150" "gap" between the next rows on 30" spacing. You need a little clearance. As long as you are 140" or less, I'd say you should be good.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Hello,

Purchasing a new to me combine - '78 F2 with 15' grain head and 438 black wide row corn head. A couple owners ago widened out the rims for 28L-26 tires. They appear to be tucked in about as narrow as you can go so I'm assuming without measuring another to compare the backspacing is stock distance.

My question is will this fit down the rows with a 4-30" head? Located a nice black 430 since I run narrow rows.

Any answers much appreciated in advance. I may have another F located for narrower drive tires if needed but I'd like to keep the big floaters if possible for my wet hills.
I think it will fit but be tight. Had 28L's rice on my F2 in beans. The ladder clears well still. My ladder runs just inside the next row over in corn when I forget to pull it up. Inside offset is same as 23.1. In soft ground you'll probably be pushing/squishing over next row.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Finally got the machine revived and out of the barn. It's 128" outside to outside tire. Ladder will need to be up, but it leaves 11-12" on each side with the 28L's. I cheated and drove out in the corn stubble of last year's crop to see for sure, since it was there and all. 😁

Looks like it will be nice to have those big floaters in the wet clay I'll be screwing around in

1 - 4 of 4 Posts