The Combine Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are a few on this forum that have operated and liked the Gleaner G. A few years ago I posted about wanting to find a hydro unit.

Well, I found one going on 3 years ago and bought it. In Oklahoma. Anyways, took me this long to get it home to Canada. It came today!

For those who might be interested-its a 1971, diesel, hydro, quick tach head (20 ft), factory air, corn/soy special. Looks complete, fairly clean but has a few blemishes that I can fix. Haven't figured out all the options it has so far but has, perf screens on tailings elevator, accumulator, tach, hour meter, tilt cab. Will keeping looking. Doesn't seem to have AHHC or Pacer which the OPs manual states are options.

I have 2 others-a diesel and a gasser and I think I can maybe make 2 pretty well optioned keepers out of the 3.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I was 12 years old in 1971 my dad and uncle had a brand new G and a new 1066 I ran the 10 with a gravity wagon and unloaded on the go we had. 4 row corn head on the G it was gas and I think it was a v8 350 ci Chevy with dual exhaust at night when I pulled up to the combine to unload the two mufflers were just red hot.the 1066 had a heat houser on it ,you young guys may not even know what that is .One last thing about 1971 my older brother had bought a 1971 roadrunner with a 383 six pack that was a fast car.

·
Registered
549 Posts
My dad had two 71's and one 72 G diesel, hydro ac cab, I was only 14 at the time and those were my favorite combines. The 70 G's we had were variable speed, gas, cab's but no ac. Loved those 71's and 72 G's. Would like to have one like your's myself.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Congratulations on a great find ! Although I owned a dozen G's I only had one hydro and that was a Hillside model and the hydro was worn out. Always wanted a Diesel Hydro but they were pretty scarce here in Canada and I was never able to get one. Still have 4 G's in the shed for old times sake

·
Registered
597 Posts
deetwocat... back then harvest was a family affair, Dad was still around and with my wife and sons helping we used to use five machines at any one time. We had five with pickup heads and five with straight heads and a couple of spares with flex heads. We would do five to six hundred acres per machine plus some custom work. Great machines, very reliable. The variable speed ground drive could be a problem if not maintained, that's why I always wanted a hydro. Didn't really need that many machines but they were relatively cheap and I couldn't seem to pass one up..

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hwy19farm-I live in Ontario.

Gleaner Baldwin- I see you are from Sumner County, Kansas. Mine came almost straight south of you near Enid OK. Your previous posts from a while back about how good a combine a G was was is one of the reasons I started looking for a diesel hydro.

It real good to see the loyalty a good machine can have!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Thanks gleanerman that was a lot of acres back in the day even if you had that many machines back then .my dad's gas G did about 700 acres per year and that would be more sped out are wheat is ready by the 12 of July then soya beans in Oct ,corn in Nov.it was a lot of work then ,now I can do that much in 4 days

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not sure the history of mine. I understand the fella that I bought it from bought it at auction-I think within last 10 years. He's not right in Enid-a few miles north east-first name Charles-almost 80 yrs young but still real vigorous and active. Not sure if he was 2nd owner or not.

It would be kinda neat if the one you knew of is now a 1000+miles north and is still alive and kicking.

Mine doesn't have a header clutch (slot is in floor but no lever). That surprises me a bit because its pretty well optioned otherwise and I think a header clutch is a pretty basic/crucial feature. My gasser-(its plum wore out) does have it. Question-Am I wrong in thinking its not a big deal to switch it over to the hydro.

Two other options it doesn't have are the AHHC and Pacer. I want to restore this G but also use it-Is it a mistake to add options that it didn't come with-personally I don't think it detracts from anything-anyone disagree?. Not sure I can find the parts for AHHC and Pacer anyways. My close by Gleaner wrecking yard has no G parts.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Dale, it must be an Oklahoma thing. :)

our 72 G diesel hydro that we saved from Oklahoma 2 years ago is also loaded fairly well, but also has no header clutch. I guess in dryland wheat nobody sprung for the option.

Glad to hear it made it home! Hopefully with no salt on it?

best of luck with it!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.