The Combine Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Gleaner G I am going through, greasing oiling and adjusting. I am completely new to combines, but have the original owner's manual on adjusting everything so going through it is not a problem, just a function of time. The combine is is very good condition, little wear on sprockets, etc, belts in nice shape. What I need to know is the dimensions of the header jacks (feet for parking the header.) They are missing. I need the length of each one, the distance from the top to the holes for the pins. One hole locates the raised position, the other the parking position. I will have no trouble fabricating them as I have a complete machine shop. I also cannot find any information on a lever in the cab. It is not listed or shown in the the Owner's manual. I think it may be a high-low range selector for the transmission. It is just above floor level on the right side of the seat. Following the linkage takes me to the tranny or differential, not sure which as I haven't been under the combine yet. I didn't notice the lever when I drove the machine home a couple of months ago or I would have checked it out. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
the hi-lo splitter box was available, and quite un-common, it would be cool if you had one.

as far as the stands, where are you located? soes your header still have the brackets?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I live in MW Montana. I will be firing the combine up in the next day or two so will check out that lever then. I just have a few more things to adjust and grease and I will be hooking the header up to harvest a small test crop of Camelina. I've never run a combine before and am setting it up for alfalfa seed. That's supposed to work for Camelina seed. guess I will find out.

Yes, all the header stand brackets are still in place. knowing where to drill the holes would be a great help, but i can just fabricate them to give me the recommended 8" off the ground with a slight tilt to make mounting the header easier.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
we are in NW KS and SC Idaho. we have quite few G's parted at the Idaho place if you ever need parts. when we go to KS we are allways going through Pocatello.

we also have a few headers for them as well, including corn heads.

I have never ran one in alfalfa seed, but dad said the G was about the best in alfalfa. they were a tad short on air to begin with, so that, coupled with the adjustable fan speed made for an excellent small seed combine. plus, the turbocharged 301 and 44 inch cylinder let it eat through slugs well.

·
Registered
597 Posts
1 3/8" solid shaft 22" long with 6" tee welded to bottom. Holes for 3/8" pins at 3 1/2, 7 1/2, 11 and 16 3/4" from top. ( basically same as L-2, M-2 series)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks gleanerman, just what I needed. I may get to the fabrication tomorrow. Moved the combine from my shop back to where the header is parked yesterday after finishing up everything I could find to do with adjustments, greasing and oiling. Checked out that lever near the floor on the right of the seat and it is indeed a hi-lo shift lever. The low speed in 1st gear is slow enough to get out and have lunch while you drive past the house. Guess I got lucky on that one.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Lucky indeed ! I owned a dozen of those machines over the years and never came across one with the hi-lo feature. They are very dependable machines and while I don't use them now I still have three in the shed for old times sake...

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
dad has one or two (maybe 3) C2s with the hi-lo, 1 F, but nothing else. congrats on having a rarely selected option!

·
Registered
597 Posts
The G's also have a feature where you can unbolt a cover on the side of the standard tranny and interchange two gears and obtain a higher gear ratio. I have one that has been changed over, goes like stink on the road but low gear becomes a little bit too fast in the field in a heavy crop...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts