The Combine Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was BS'n the other day with a guy about the small seed kit option then started poking around my combine. Pulled the screens and see this sheet metal with holes in it in front of the fan discharge. Is this what the parts manual calls the "damper", or could this be the "small seed kit"? On the side below the rear fan inspection hole this piece is adjustable, but i find no reference to it in the operators manual. Browsing photos on the internet it seems that some combines have nothing in this slot i.e. nothing blocking the air flow on the fan? Just wondering if I pulled this out would it give me more air in big seeds, like peas or corn?

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For reference my combine is a 78 short shoe. The previous owners primarily used it to harvest alfalfa seed so lower air flows would be ideal.. I have continued to use it in small seeds like lettuce and flowers and found it very good in those scenarios. I've always thought that in corn it could use a little bit more air even with the fan choke opened all the way up.

I also have a parts machine, a newer long shoe L2 and it does not have this screen in the fan discharge.. That being said it was a parts machine long before I aquired it and someone could have pulled it outta there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Glean, appreciate the response. I would have never found the upper screen without your post.

I will attach a couple pictures in case anyone in the future is curious about the small seed kit

1) spring loaded shaft end on left side behind header clutch
2) open/ close adjustment on right side behind separator clutch
3) upper screen swung into open position

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts