The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We used to run run Gleaner combines. Real liked our L2 just outgrew the machine and it just plain got old and was breaking down quite a bit.

But thats beside my question is does any of the Gleaner guys actually have a L4? Do you still use it? What do you think of it?

They kind of seem like mythical creatures cause I have seen the brochure and pictures but never one in someones yard.

Please post a pic if you can I would really like to see it.
Also if anyone knows of one for sale PM me my uncle is looking for a nice L2, L3, or L4.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
good luck finding one, supposedly less than 10 made it over the border. Of course by reading the brochures, you are aware of the 5.9L cummins power.

We actually saw one sold a few years back. It brought decent money. It was very much like an L3 with very few changes. this one had the one piece windshield, contrary to popular belief, but it did have the square box fuel tank. The rear hubs looked like ones off a rotary. it was rolling on 23.1x34s, or 24.5x32s, cant remeber. it also was running on tall skinny traction rubber out the back. some sort of 24 inch tire. I do beieve the steering brakes were relocated to right in by the transmission, so there is a big difference there. otherwise I cant really remeber what else there was, but it was all pretty subtle. I would just get an L3.

Good luck!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Some info on the L4. Units were made in 1990 and 91, by AC Mexicana, Not Gleaner, in fact they only said L4 on the decals, most were sold around Minot ND and some into Sask. Later units did have the light grey interior like the R series. Once Agco got wind of L series still being built in the old Allis Chalmers plant in Mexico, they put a stop to it. But i have also heard that machines were built for the mexican market up till 98. AC mexicana is still in business today.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I thought they did still say Gleaner on them, along with Allis Chalmers and not Duetz Allis. I've only seen the brochure though and from what I saw looked just like the Duetz L3's.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am just curious if anyone actually has one on here. I have the brochure downloaded.

just spent 2 weeks without electricity. Big snow event on April 2. Local Coop lost 8000 poles.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I know this is an old forum, but my dad has an L4 gleaner. It has 2400 separator hours and is in good shape. We used it this year for soybeans and corn and ran great. I can post pics and asking price if anyone responds to this.

·
Registered
25 Posts
yea that would be nice to see I was also told the main shaft was heavier were do you get parts just ask for a late model L3 part

·
Registered
9 Posts
I know this is an old forum. But if anyone is still looking for an L4 in good shape my dad has one with 2400 separator hours. We used it for corn and soybean harvest this year and it has always been shedded. I can send pictures and asking price if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not sure if this attached correctly. But right now this is the only picture I have on my computer. Will get more soon. This was in wheat a few years back.

You cant see that it's an L4 in this picture, but you'll have to take my word for it until I can post current images of the combine. We have had it for 14 years and it has worked great every season. Will provide additional details when I post better pics.

As for parts, yes, the L4 is compatible with L3 parts. In fact there is at least one pulley on it from an L2.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
The attached photos show the combine as is. It's a little dirty as it hasn't been cleaned up for storage quite yet.

The hour meter only shows around 2200 separator hours. But, we found out the meter had a bad wire and we estimate that it has around 2400 actual separator hours. The engine hours are accurate.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts