The Combine Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just started using a m2 with 4 row head this year I am losing a lot of shell corn out the back I am also pluging the lower sieve. With the fan turned up to what the book says its blowing corn kernels out the back. Am I missing parts or some thing else. Thanks

·
Registered
549 Posts
No, no! The "door" at the back of the shoe (open only to adjust or clean the sieve) has to be latched closed. With it open your losing a ton of wind and results in plugging the sieve. The stuff that doesn't fall through the sieve to the clean grain auger goes over the end of the sieve and runs back down to the tailings auger.

·
Registered
60 Posts
If you have a lot of broken cob you may need to increase cylinder clearance. You should be able to put a lot of whole cobs out the back, this makes for easier cleaning. You may need to open chaffer slightly as well as sieve.

·
Registered
407 Posts
You're not blowing corn out at "5" unless the corn is 13% or less and you are driving too slowly to not keep the machine somewhat full. Corn chaffer 1 5/8" deep tooth is absolutely needed for corn........cylinder at 400 to 500 RPM max.......5/8" to 3/4" clearance.........chaffer open to 1/2" using a 1/2" bolt for a feeler gauge.....open sieve wide open to start.......

·
Registered
3 Posts
jdman - if you are plugging with leaves between the chaffer and sieve, you may want to open the round inspection cover on side of machine for fan to remove leaves sucked in and doubled across the windboard (fan speed damper). If you look through the small inspection hole on the side of machine and cannot see daylight at the other side of machine, this is your problem. Note, on windy days and in dry conditions leaves get sucked up and loop over windboard. Some machines still have the side covers shipped from factory to keep leaves out, some guys lose there sheilds.

·
Registered
407 Posts
High idle, wide open, no load RPM's are probably 2520 to 2570 RPM...........2400 RPM is rated loaded HP speed. It has to run faster than 2400 under no load to be able to reach full fuel by the time you pull it down to 2400. Chances are, if you actually LOOK at the throttle lever on the injection pump to see to it that the lever is fully open and against the stop bolt, RPM's being too low isn't your problem. But, there are many throttle cables from the cab to the engine that sometimes need replacement because they are stiff and do not achieve full stroke/RPM's.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.