The Combine Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rotor Belt Adjustment:
I have 3 R72 combines. My 1976 R72 with a Cummins M11 engine is giving excellent performance in straight cutting barley and canola. However the combine has a slack and floppy Rotor Belt and on tough canola straw the rotor plugged once where it should not have plugged. How is the belt tension adjusted? Is there a tensioner on the sheaves of the rotor drive pulleys?

Straight Cutting Canola:
I now straight cut all of my canola. One of my 30' rigid straight cut headers gives excellent performance; another 25' Flex header currently does not feed the crop evenly into the feeder housing.

I have no experience with Gleaner Draper Headers for straight cutting canola.

I am interested in input regarding experience and performance in straight cutting canola with all types of straight cut headers including ,"Draper Headers".

JPS

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
As far as i know ther isnt a belt tensioner. The squeezing action of the shieve loosens and tightens the belt. Grease the crap out of the zerks on the sheave and run the speed up and down from full fast to full slow. If this isnt cycled regularly it will stick and eventually wear out prematurely. I normally put a tube of grease in it at the beginning of harvest cycle the shieve then grease it every other day. 10 shots per zerk during harvest every other day.

·
Registered
219 Posts
The rotor drive clutch sets the tension on the belt. It must be sticking on the ramps. I agree with Redline, grease the crap out of it and cycle rotor speed up and down. If it doesn't fix it has to come apart.

·
Registered
75 Posts
There is actually,or should be shims in bottom rotor belt pulley,had the same issue on my r75(slack belt) and thought it was buggered,my gleaner mechanic mick knoble (walla walla) split bottom pulley removed 2 shims,belt now has 'as new' tension..10 min job..

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Tension is not adjustable other than adding shim washers to the spring within the torque sensor. Installing new spring will also restore to original length. Slide on jaws need to be nice and polished and no scoring. I like to grease only the zirk on input shaft for that greasing will spill from sliding hub area right onto the jaws. The second zirk will gease jaws only. While I grease only the only the one I watch for a little grease to spurge out and get onto bottom of return auger or grain tank any time the varible has been threw full cycle. Now to check for excessive wear between sliding hub and tube you should adjust RPM to most common speed or the speed at which you had trouble. Now measure how far sheaves are apart at very rear and compair how far apart at very front. There should be no more than say 3/16" MAX. If grease was not sufficient to input shaft at some time in life the sliding hub and tube could be worn to point that torque sensor can not properly tension the belt. Same exact thing applies to the header variable. The zirk for input on corn varible is the one on the PTO stub not the one in next to bearing support. Newest heavier corn varible has the zirk on hub right next to PTO stub. I have found that it has taken as many as 150 or more strokes of grease gun on many machines just to get the grease to sliding hub area.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.