The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have been having trouble breaking the Accelerator roll gears on a 2012 S77. Started last fall and broke 3 sets in a 100 hours. Thought maybe the shafts were bent so this winter pulled both shafts out and replaced them with new ones and put all new bearings in both shafts and also put new straw chopper hammers in too thinking that was causing too much load on the shaft. Took it out to harvest corn in February. Did about 250 acres and it broke some teeth off the gears again. Lugs are timed on it. Does Agco have a bad batch of gears out there or what is the deal? Thanks.

·
Registered
433 Posts
silverluv, you've been running rotary Gleaners for a lot longer than me (I'm still on an R50, for Pete's sake!) So I need to ask if those gears or how they're driven have changed significantly? I had one lose teeth a few years ago and I never did find any evidence as to why it happened.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I think that whole end is a problem. The chopper is too small and the torque requirement is a lot higher than shaft is good for and having the gears on there to boot is crappy. I wondered about making that shaft heavier. 1 1/2”. It was ok on the early series But needs some improvement in the s series. I think gleaner knows there is a problem. The s series gears are cheaper than the r series.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I presume you are talking about the LH side. I bent the rear shaft with the uni , it was my fault. I couldn't stop the lock screws from coming loose and the gear moving till I gave the gears lots of clearance.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I seem to have plenty of clearance between the teeth. Have checked the timing numerous times. The gears are 1 inch thick. I am just wondering if it could be possible about getting bad tempered gears?? I have the gears being warrantied at Butler in Fargo ND. They are going to put a claim in to Agco to see if there is any issues. I just don’t know what else could be causing this after all the parts I have replaced to remedy this issue.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I believe it is likely to be gears that were not hardened properly. I went through 4 sets of gears last fall on an S88. I recently had the hardness checked on a failed gear. It tested 18 Rockwell. AGCO said they are supposed to be 50-52.

I’ve never had problems in this area before so I don’t think it is really a design issue rather quality control.

·
Registered
177 Posts
are these the same part #'s as on older series? 2's, 5's, etc? if so, i would just find the nearest salvage and get some from an old machine

·
Registered
536 Posts
I had that isue with a 3000 corn head last fall. The first set of snapping rolls lasted 10 seasons, we destroyed the new set last fall in under 1000 acres, brittle as hell.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Have been having trouble breaking the Accelerator roll gears on a 2012 S77. Started last fall and broke 3 sets in a 100 hours. Thought maybe the shafts were bent so this winter pulled both shafts out and replaced them with new ones and put all new bearings in both shafts and also put new straw chopper hammers in too thinking that was causing too much load on the shaft. Took it out to harvest corn in February. Did about 250 acres and it broke some teeth off the gears again. Lugs are timed on it. Does Agco have a bad batch of gears out there or what is the
Have been having trouble breaking the Accelerator roll gears on a 2012 S77. Started last fall and broke 3 sets in a 100 hours. Thought maybe the shafts were bent so this winter pulled both shafts out and replaced them with new ones and put all new bearings in both shafts and also put new straw chopper hammers in too thinking that was causing too much load on the shaft. Took it out to harvest corn in February. Did about 250 acres and it broke some teeth off the gears again. Lugs are timed on it. Does Agco have a bad batch of gears out there or what is the deal? Thanks.
there has to be another issue I think I posted on your thread on Ag talk mine was the torque sending cams on the rotor gearbox

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tab

Wouldn’t the rotor belt had vibrated or slapped some when running if there was an issue like you were talking? I did have the torque sensor apart this winter and the cams appeared to be ok. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
475 Posts
How are the chopper knives? Good sharp edge to pull material especially in poor conditions? Worn edge doesn't pull good and lets material go around again and starts slugging. In bad conditions might pull the vertical helical that makes material go around one more time at the beginning of the discharge instead to let material come out sooner and not push to the outer edge. Anyway just some thoughts.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Put all new hammers in this winter thinking that could be an issue also. But still broke some gears a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So now the latest on them gears is the dealer won’t warranty them because they think there is something wrong with the combine and they have had their own guys look at them. They think the lugs are hitting each other because there is inconsistent wear on the teeth on the back side of them. I told them well yeah when things are running through the machine the gears do clatter back and forth have you not ever been around a Gleaner?? Not impressed about this anymore.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I do have the lugs timed. Been around these combines for 25 years. I know how to time the lugs.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I agree with you Silverluv. Total Bullshit on that one.
There maybe an issue somewhere, but unless the gears are terribly worn I can't see that been the issue.
Ask them to show you how this is doing this

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Brian I was wondering where u were able to get them specs on the gear hardness according to Agco specs?? I tested some the other day and they were anywhere from 32-42 Rockwell. Every gear seemed different and where the teeth actually broke they were 32 and on the other side of gear would get up to 42. I would like to get a new set and check them but I am getting tired of having to pay for them.

·
Premium Member
4,048 Posts
I think their foundry that’s making these parts need a retooling they had problems with their axles also.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I think their foundry that’s making these parts need a retooling they had problems with their axles also.
Hi Rodney tested a set of old gear ang brand new at speciality shop and both were 55 rockwell on the theet and center 10 for new and 20 for old one.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hi Brian I was wondering where u were able to get them specs on the gear hardness according to Agco specs?? I tested some the other day and they were anywhere from 32-42 Rockwell. Every gear seemed different and where the teeth actually broke they were 32 and on the other side of gear would get up to 42. I would like to get a new set and check them but I am getting tired of having to pay for them.

My dealer ask AGCO for the specs. I’m sure AGCO is aware of this issue because after a couple sets of gears my dealer asked them “what’s up”...they responded that they had a bad batch of gears. My dealer put in for warranty to cover expense but I haven’t asked yet if they have responded. I would suggest having your dealer check into getting warranty to cover since they didn’t meet the specs

1 - 20 of 20 Posts