The Combine Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I spent the day trying to get it off, after several hours we decided to cut it off. Got the outside removed and half of the inside then our cutting torch quit functioning properly. Now it is partially welded to the shaft. I need to get another cutting torch to get the rest off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just put a shaft in my 72 and it was $600 with the bearings so be careful with the torch.
Thanks for the warning. I ran into trouble cutting it off when I melted some of the springs in in the limiter, they are harder than the sleeve and when they melted they appear to have welded to the shaft. Its going to take some time to see if we can get that fixed. If not then we'll have to replace the shaft.

That shaft is the pivot for the feeder house, right? How difficult is it to replace?

·
Registered
382 Posts
The pivot shaft can be a pain in the butt to get off cause if done right the sprockets are usually lock tight to the shaft which takes alot of heat and a big hammer to knock them loose. There is a bolt and washer on thr left side of shaft holding it in. Save yourself the misery of trying to lay under the cab beating on the sprocket and pull the feeder house off. Support the back side up and its all right there. Sprockets have two set screws in them. Make sure they are timed when put back together. Each sprocket has a line on one of the teeth. Just line them up when putting back on the shaft

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will work on the torque limiter again this morning, hopefully the shaft isn't damaged but I'm not holding out much hope after what I saw in the flashlight beam last night. If the feeder house needs to come off I will have our dealer do that this time, at least that makes the most sense for now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.