The Combine Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
We had trouble with the whitecaps in glenn wheat over several years. Finally, this year we didn't grow any glenn wheat just bec they were to dang tuff to harvest. The problem is not limited to green iron but also cih's. We found the best thing to do is to speed up the rotor wide open, close the concave all the way and fan at about 1000 or 1100 if I remember right. 3 rows of grate covers and 3 concave plates on 9760's. While it was not perfect, it was the best we could get without throwing out the back.

·
Registered
31 Posts
what type of concaves are you guys running in glenn? Heard the the pfparts concave can help with the white caps in glenn.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Run the PF elements too. You WILL be impressed. Major decrease in white caps. Bullet elements handle tough straw well but not good for tough thrashing. PF elements now available for bullet rotor too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have been very happy with the PF concaves. I ran the first concave Extra Narrow, then the rest Narrow and have been very happy with the cleaning of our wheat. For next year I will also add the PF elements.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Has anyone ran a comparison between the PF parts elements and/or Kuchar elements and/or the loewen elements? Just courious to see if their is a difference between when going from the 15 elements (loewen and kuchar) to the 9 elements with PF parts.

·
Super Moderator
5,952 Posts
Yes... We were looking at it this spring also for fuz resistance. The seed looked plain ugly... Especially for $17/bu. Went with KANE instead

Have to call up a guy who's got a quarter section of it... see how his harvest went, later on this fall.

·
0 Posts
Yes... We were looking at it this spring also for fuz resistance. The seed looked plain ugly... Especially for $17/bu. Went with KANE instead

Have to call up a guy who's got a quarter section of it... see how his harvest went, later on this fall.

you mean if we ever get to harvest the glen wheat........ just got another shot of 2 inches.
anyway. 5602 sure lookin good this year kane is ok same with glen, heads of glen are small for $17 a bushel

like my neighbour said today: " A good crop in Manitoba is usually hard to get"
agree with that, we got a nice lookin crop in the field, but it is going to be a pain to get it off the field

·
Super Moderator
5,952 Posts
711bert, that's something you'll find out. We have some of the best weather (rain/heat/cool depending on where you are)... but mother nature can also throw ya a curve ball.

Strangely, around here it's common knowledge that the Red River Valley has excellent land, but poor weather; unfortunately there's very few places that have good weather AND good land

·
Registered
4 Posts
grab some of those unthrashed heads, put them on the bench in the shop, hit them with a big hammer and you still won't get it out. That stuff is TOUGH!

·
0 Posts
it's all about how good your land drains, you can have 2 fields beside each other one is just worthless and the other one fish and butter

1 - 15 of 15 Posts